Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Derailment in Harrisburg

Date: 11/25/15 10:20
Derailment in Harrisburg
Author: mp109

Heard that 38Q derailed at c.p.Harrisburg.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/25/15 10:48
Re: Derailment in Harrisburg
Author: reel_smooth

I'm in the area and hearing it as well. Doesn't sound to bad; perhaps a few cars and I think they're working on moving stuff westbound, albeit slowly.

** update ** - Terminal dispatcher is advising Amtrak 04T (rather late today) that the passengers will disembark at CP Banks and get on a bus(es), presumably to get to the station to go the rest of the way east. The train will then go over the Rockville bridge and up the Buffalo line to spin and go back west where they will pick up w/b passengers. Only two cars on the ground but are fouling the siding and the dispatcher indicated that it would be a while getting cleaned up.

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/15 11:11 by reel_smooth.

Date: 11/25/15 11:14
Author: sscannella

I'm standing there now. Rail rolled alongside the station. 21M stopped east of the station. They have the Amtrak lead blocked, so 43 will be late.

42 / 04T w/AMT 116 and 9 cars is presently unloading passengers in the Rockville Wye (15:15). It sounds like 43'S passengers and crew will also be bussed out to Rockville to head west. 116 and trainset will have to shove down to the fuel pad to be fueled before heading back west.

NS traffic is now being allowed west of CP-HARRIS. 21J and 21M are the first two through.

A few pics later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/15 13:38 by sscannella.

Date: 11/25/15 11:19
Author: stevelv

Date: 11/25/15 11:23
Author: steamfan

Sounds like a bad spot for this to happen...

Posted from Android

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 11/25/15 13:26
Author: reel_smooth

steamfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a bad spot for this to happen...
>
> Posted from Android

And the worst day of the year too, as noted by 04T's engineer & the dispatcher.

Date: 11/25/15 13:48

Here are some pics of the derailment (as I stated earlier it looks like rolled rail), 42 at the Rockville Wye with some of the busses arriving, and 21J west at Cove starting the westbound parade after being walked by the derailment site.

Date: 11/25/15 15:02
Author: Out_Of_Service

sscannella Wrote:
> Here are some pics of the derailment (as I stated
> earlier it looks like rolled rail), 42 at the
> Rockville Wye with some of the busses arriving,
> and 21J west at Cove starting the westbound parade
> after being walked by the derailment site.

the picture the news has was at the west end of the station at Harris and showed a cpl 89' high cube boxcars, right behind the power, skewed ...

Date: 11/25/15 15:08
Author: Lackawanna484

Nice looking buses to make the passenger swap. 

Date: 11/25/15 15:22

Out_Of_Service Wrote:

>
> the picture the news has was at the west end of
> the station at Harris and showed a cpl 89' high
> cube boxcars, right behind the power, skewed ...

Yeah, I saw that too Check on the 6:00 pm news.  I was on the Mulberry St. Bridge, never ventured up to the State St. Bridge west of the station itself.  I'm theorizing the rail rolled at the spot in my picture, the air dumped when the cars derailed, and they stopped within a couple hundred yards which would put them just west of the station.  There's a pretty sharp curve from the CP-PAXTON to/from the Lurgan branch / Reading Bridge (to my back), so there's a 10 mph speed limit on this move.  Not the first time there have been derailments on the move to/from the bridge.

Date: 11/25/15 15:45
Author: Gonut1

So I downloaded the picture and zoomed in. It appears that both trucks under the covered hopper are at the far end and this is directly on top of the switch to the Paxton Industrial (or Secondary?).
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds