Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Walton, KY as a railfan location

Date: 12/04/15 12:30
Walton, KY as a railfan location
Author: P

Walton, KY is a location less than 30 miles south of Cincinnati, OH and is where the NS CNO&TP crosses the CSX x-L&N line to Corbin, KY and beyond.   Both lines are busy, with NS being busier.    The tracks cross at a truss bridge north of the town and run nearly parallel for a couple of miles and through the small town. 

The town does not get much press as a railfan location, but it is one of my favorite to watch trains.  2 busy lines running close together with a high volume of traffic and running at generally high speeds.   I had an appointment in town today which ended at lunchtime, so I grabbed some lunch and parked in view of both lines.   After lunch, i needed to make some phone calls so I stayed put and made my phone calls.   Both railroads have been running trains like streetcars today adding up to about 10 trains in 2 hours or so.  On a beautiful late fall day, it was quite enjoyable doing my work and watching the trains roll by. 

Photographically, there are some worthwhile locations within town, and of course photo locations abound both north and south of here.   I dont take too many pictures of trains these days, but I know some have been posted here in the past.  My advice to anyone visiting the area might want to visit this location if you are interested in sitting back and watching trains.    For me, I have more phone calls to make........

Date: 12/04/15 13:13
Re: Walton, KY as a railfan location
Author: krm152

Am a KY native and lived here all but 4 1/2 years but have never been to Walton.  The crossing north of town looks very interesting.
ALLEN

Date: 12/04/15 13:59
Author: BobE

Allen, the two lines are at different elevations.  NS crosses CSX on a bridge. 

Train-watching between the two lines is possible, but spots you could easily photograph both lines in good sun...well, you'd be running around.

BobE

Date: 12/04/15 16:49
Author: wa4umr

The last time I was in Walton I was a passenger on the L&N.  That's been more than a few weeks ago.  It's not really that far from Louisville. I guess I need to make a trip up that way.  My daughter lives in Ft Thomas.  Guess I could force myself to take a detour on the way up there some day.

John

Date: 12/04/15 20:35
Author: scraphauler

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Walton, KY is a location less than 30 miles south
> of Cincinnati, OH and is where the NS CNO&TP
> crosses the CSX x-L&N line to Corbin, KY and
> beyond.  

Minor correction. The ex L&N line is the LCL sub to Louisville, not the CC Sub to Corbin

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/04/15 21:13

scraphauler Wrote:
> P Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Walton, KY is a location less than 30 miles
> south
> > of Cincinnati, OH and is where the NS CNO&TP
> > crosses the CSX x-L&N line to Corbin, KY and
> > beyond.  
>
> Minor correction. The ex L&N line is the LCL sub
> to Louisville, not the CC Sub to Corbin
>
> Posted from iPhone

i believe they were both former L&N lines, no?

Date: 12/05/15 07:34
Author: AJnCorrie

I'd have to think the CSX line is to Louisville as I heard that the CSX had drastically cut traffic down through Corbin and eventually Knoxville...

Date: 12/05/15 09:28
Author: toledopatch

P Wrote:
> scraphauler Wrote:
> -----
> > P Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Walton, KY is a location less than 30 miles
> > south
> > > of Cincinnati, OH and is where the NS CNO&TP
> > > crosses the CSX x-L&N line to Corbin, KY and
> > > beyond.  
> >
> > Minor correction. The ex L&N line is the LCL
> sub
> > to Louisville, not the CC Sub to Corbin
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
>
> i believe they were both former L&N lines, no?

They're both ex-L&N, but you wrote that the one through Walton goes to Corbin, which is wrong.

Date: 12/05/15 21:09

Now I understand.  Yes, the line is the LCL to Louisville.  My mistake.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds