Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Anybody in this forum who works for NS?

Date: 04/27/03 19:23
Anybody in this forum who works for NS?
Author: Ironhorse

I live in South Bend, Indiana and am trying to find out if NS owns the rail yard in Elkhart, IN. It\'s the only place near me with a decent amount of train traffic. I wanted to find out about who to contact to see if there is anyplace near there where one can take pictures without being run off. I e-mailed the webmaster on the NS website, but have heard nothing. If anyone has info please send to dayres101@hotmail.com

Date: 04/27/03 20:08
Re: Anybody in this forum who works for NS?
Author: southernva

Why dont you just take pictures, and if you are run off by someone, ask the person who ran you off where you can take pictures.

Date: 04/27/03 20:32
Re: Anybody in this forum who works for NS?
Author: CSX_CO

Station in Elkhart would be \'safe\' from the chance of being run off. That\'s about all I\'m familar with in Elkhart.

As for waiting to get run off to find a safe place, wouldn\'t suggest that. If you get run off by an NS Special agent, who just happens to give you a ticket for trespassing, that\'s an expense way to find out what places are safe. Best to come here and ask. That only costs $7.

Practice Safe CSX

Date: 04/27/03 21:10
Re: I don't think so
Author: Ironhorse

I read a thread on this site about three months ago regarding penalties for trespassing on RR property and the amount of authority a RR officer has. I\'m not messing with anyone who has almost as much power as a U.S. marshall. From what I remember reading they have the same authority as a game warden which is above everyone but a marshall in most places. I know that\'s the case in Indiana.

Date: 04/27/03 22:14
Re: I don't think so
Author: supersock

RR crossings outside the yard limits should be a safe haven.

Also, if there are any public streets that dead end at the tracks. Sometimes a machete can come in handy keeping the weeds down in those places. And a bow saw to cut some limbs for better east-west or north-south vision.

Date: 04/28/03 08:39
Possibilities
Author: wabash2800

At one time one could pull off the highway along the yards (north side) west of town (very wide dirt burm). However, I haven\'t been up there in a while. There is a fuel rack on the main there too. Unfortunately, mainline trains and cars generally block the view into the yard but you might see trimmer engines further west. There is a public road on the north side of the yards too, but you really can\'t see in the yards.

The next town west of the yards (Osceolla, spelling?) might be an OK place to stay on public property and not draw a lot of attention. I believe the station is still standing. Yes, this is NS, former Conrail, former Penn Central, former New York Central.

The station in downtown Elkhart is a great place with the museum, a controlled siding and the junction of the "Old Road" and "Air Line" all in one location. Everything heading west of the yards will pass through here--even trains headed for the Marion Brach in Goshen. However, I understand that Amtrak will no longer be using the station or making stops but don\'t know the effective date. (That shouldn\'t effect you.)The city owns the depot; they purchased it some years ago at an extortion price.

Date: 04/28/03 10:30
Re: Possibilities
Author: CountryBoy

My understanding is the Lakeshore Limited (late for sure) will no longer stop but the Capitol will now start stopping

Country Boy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds