Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Old coaling tower on an active main

Date: 02/03/16 21:37
Old coaling tower on an active main
Author: wa4umr

About two months ago I posted a few pictures of one of my friends running a train.  I joked that I caught him working or something like that.  In one of the photos there was an old coaling tower in the background.  Someone on here ask if I could post a few more of that tower.  Well, at the time I didnt really have any so I went there today and took a few.  

These were taken at Lebanon Jct, Ky. on the L&N main between Louisville and Nashville, CSX today.  The tower is about 250 yards north of milepost 30.  Three side of it are accessable to the public.  There wasn't much traffic today, just a few light engines and one short local that got away from me.

I don't know when this last serviced a locomotive.  L&N dropped the fire in their last locomotive 58 years ago.

John

Date: 02/03/16 21:41
Re: Old coaling tower on an active main

A little daylight through the bottom.  All of the working parts are gone.  These are looking at the west and south side of the tower.

Date: 02/03/16 21:46

A bit under exposed and showing a beautiful sky and some of the texture of the concrete.  I had plans to go to another location that afternoon because of the clear skys but the cloud rolled in about the time I left Lebanon Jct.

I went around to the north side.  These two light locomotive came from the north and stopped here.

Date: 02/03/16 21:51

I guess if you stand in the right place it looks like there may be a big long train coming down the tracks (just don't look at the shadows.)

I thought they might be going south so I went to the south side again.  No luck.  They went the other way.

The two mains are quite a distance apart but they have to narrow down to get past the old tower.

I forgot who ask to have these posted but I hope you enjoyed them.

John

Date: 02/04/16 04:28
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice pictures. Even though I was not the one to ask to see more of this coaling tower, I enjoyed your efforts.
John Breitigan

Date: 02/05/16 06:40
Author: gonx

I like the shots too!

It always interesting to see how the track makes a jog to get around or through various objects.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds