Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A GP11 with a rail train on the LIRC & Rain on CSX

Date: 02/03/16 18:54
A GP11 with a rail train on the LIRC & Rain on CSX
Author: EMBell

Back in the middle of January, a friend and I headed North up to Indiana to check out the progress the LIRC (Louisville & Indiana RR) is making on the upgrading of the line between Louisville, KY and Indianapolis.  This is the old PRR mainline to Louisville, and CSX is funding a major upgrade of the line to run their own trains to bypass the congested lines out of Louisville.   As luck would have it, we found a loaded rail train coming South just after daylight and followed him to Scottsburg where they started to unload the new rail. 

I have had good luck shooting the LIRC in the past, but the rail train was nice as it had the LIRC 1803 (built in 1954 as a GP9 UP # 135, rebuilt by the ICG as a GP-11 #8745) leading.  This unit had been sitting on the deadline for several years at Jeffersonville, but has been resurrected for work train work on the power short line.  The day dawned grey and cold, and as early as it was I had to push my camera but came away with a few keepers.   After the rail train started to drop rail, we headed back across the Ohio River into Kentucky, and spend the rest of the day shooting a few trains on the CSX LCL sub....something different on a dreary and wet Winter day. 

You can find the entire set from both the LIRC and CSX at this link >>>>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2016eb

01/16/15 

#1  LIRC 1803 leads a loaded rail train South on the old PRR mainline just after dawn near Jonesville, Indiana

#2  A Southbound rail train is running over part of the newly refurbished LIRC mainline near Cruthersville, Indiana

#3  The rail train is stopped at Scottsburg, Indiana and ready to start dropping the new rail South of town. 

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/16 18:59 by EMBell.

Date: 02/03/16 18:57
Re: A GP11 with a rail train on the LIRC & Rain on CSX
Author: EMBell

#4 CSX Q254 crosses the Kentucky River bridge at Worthville, Kentucky  Northbound on the LCL Sub

#5 Q502 climbs away from the Eagle Creek valley and starts into the cut that was once Eagle Tunnel near Glencoe, Kentucky

#6 CSX 251 South gets back on the move at South Verona (KY)  after meeting Q502

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 02/03/16 20:23
Author: stevelv

You did well on the photos despite the weather.   I really like the CSX stuff on what seems to me is a not too often photographed line.

Date: 02/04/16 03:24
Author: dschlegel

Nice shots! I really like #5, neat framing.
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/04/16 07:21
Author: bluesboyst

Really nice Mr. Bell.....Would really like to ride the short  line again.    December of 1969, has been too long.......

Date: 02/04/16 13:20
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds