Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > SD90's to Muncie

Date: 02/05/16 15:18
SD90's to Muncie
Author: junctiontower

Last week I captured the first four former UP SD9043MACs that EMD Muncie is going to rebuild into SD70ACUs for NS leaving east Wayne Yard in Fort Wayne.

Date: 02/05/16 15:23
Re: SD90's to Muncie

Today, I captured the first two SD70ACUs to be done, rebuilt by NS at Altoona moving DIT to Muncie for EMD to check them over before they officially enter service in the exact same spot, and then about a mile west of there at Meyer Road.

Date: 02/05/16 15:24

More.

Date: 02/05/16 16:40
Author: Sasquatch

Very cool junctiontower; thank you for posting those!

-Tom

Date: 02/05/16 17:04
Author: AndyBrown

Whoa, nice looking power there; will be nice to see 'em trackside.

Andy

Date: 02/05/16 20:44
Author: imrl

Those look pretty neat!  New cab and new inverter cabinet jump out right away.  I wonder where they put the handbrake.  They originally had a dreadful electric one mounted on the lead truck, conductor's side.  You usually had to sit and hold the button until it tied.  And if the power part failed, it was a long process to hand crank them. 

Date: 02/05/16 20:54
Author: NSDash9

imrl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder where they put the handbrake. 

An electric brake wheel type unit is built into the left side of the long hood, just behind the Norfoilk Southern logo and lettering.

CHris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 02/05/16 21:42
Author: imrl

Indeed. It is very difficult to see on super clean black engines. At least they did do away with those awful OE electric hand rakes. 

Date: 02/05/16 21:52
Author: highgreengraphics

With coal and traffic in a downturn, as well as the spectre of a possible unfriendly takeover hanging like a big cloud, I don't think I would be in any real hurry to get these done if I were NS... === === = === JLH

Date: 02/05/16 22:41
Author: ble692

imrl Wrote:
> Those look pretty neat!  New cab and new inverter cabinet jump out right away.  I wonder where they put the handbrake.  They originally had a
> dreadful electric one mounted on the lead truck,> conductor's side.  You usually had to sit and hold the button until it tied.  And if the power
> part failed, it was a long process to hand crank them. 

I had the displeasure of having to move quite a few of the dead SD​9043ACs into and out of Fresno, CA where Harbor Rail Services was doing the frame repairs on the units that the UP kept. What a friggin pain in the a** it was releasing and applying those hand brakes. Those stupid little cranks would just take forever to get the job done. Had to alternate back and forth between arms just to let the blood flow back into them while you kept cranking with the other arm.

Date: 02/06/16 08:31
Author: Out_Of_Service

they could pass for 80MACs

Date: 02/07/16 15:39
Author: iaisfan

Very nice!  I was just thinking as I scrolled through your first few pics that it'd be fun to see these when they're actually upgraded and in NS paint.  Scroll a bit further, and presto!  Thanks for sharing those.

Pretty interesting comparing them to SD70ACes.  NS continues to amaze me with their growing motive power variety at a time when everyone else seems to have settled on just a handful of models.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 02/07/16 19:16
Author: navarch2

highgreengraphics Wrote:
> With coal and traffic in a downturn, as well as
> the spectre of a possible unfriendly takeover
> hanging like a big cloud, I don't think I would
> be in any real hurry to get these done if I were
> NS... === === = === JLH

That takeover is dead and buried from what I am reading?

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds