Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Where is it?

Date: 02/08/16 13:04
Where is it?
Author: VFPNSFAN

First image facing compass east, second, 180 degree turn, facing compass west.

Date: 02/08/16 13:11
Re: Where is it?
Author: 2720

Somewhere on a bridge!

Mike

Date: 02/08/16 13:15
Author: ClassJ604

Kentucky

Date: 02/08/16 13:22
Author: CSXT_8437

Looks to be former PRR judging by the railing to the left.

Date: 02/08/16 13:30
Author: callum_out

Cumbres and Toltec Scenic?

Out

Date: 02/08/16 14:07
Author: Out_Of_Service

the former PRR Line to Devault

Date: 02/08/16 14:35

Ding ding, Mr. OOS wins.  I figured it was between RDG360, Gonut, and OOS.  The active NS Harrisburg line goes under the bridge shown.  This photo was taken today in Phoenixville, PA about 1/2 mile east of Black Rock Tunnel, east portal.

Did the line used to loop through Phoenixville and join the Harrisburg line?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 14:36 by VFPNSFAN.

Date: 02/08/16 15:01

VFPNSFAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ding ding, Mr. OOS wins.  I figured it was
> between RDG360, Gonut, and OOS.  The active NS
> Harrisburg line goes under the bridge shown.
>  This photo was taken today in Phoenixville, PA
> about 1/2 mile east of Black Rock Tunnel, east
> portal.
>
> Did the line used to loop through Phoenixville and
> join the Harrisburg line?

​the line under CR came off the former Reading line at Perkiomen Jct crossed the Schuylkill River, and connected to the former PRR Schuylkill Valley Branch at Oaks, ran to Phoenixville and crossed the Schuylkill River again and also the former Reading Line right at the entrance to Black Rock Tunnel  ... the 2 lines at Oaks crossed at grade back in the day and the diamond was kept into the 90s for short sections of each line that were still in service ... the line to Devault use to connect to the former PRR Main Line to Harrisburg somewhere around Downington but was truncated back to Devault in an industrial park ... American Sweetners was the major customer in Devault ... the little branch also lead into the Phoenix Steel plant ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/16 22:14 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/08/16 17:27
Author: tp117

I know that line well, American sweetners was a customer and I have visited it and diagramed the upper part of the branch. There used to be a quarry at Devault also. Is American Sweetners gone now? Is the whole branch gone? I think CR actually put CWR on it. The big bridge was always a problem. OOS, hope u have answers.

Date: 02/08/16 17:57

So does this mean that the few deteriorated center cab switchers abandoned behind the Oaks expo center are related to industries once served there?

Date: 02/08/16 18:11

tp117 Wrote:
> I know that line well, American sweetners was a
> customer and I have visited it and diagramed the
> upper part of the branch. There used to be a
> quarry at Devault also. Is American Sweetners gone
> now? Is the whole branch gone? I think CR actually
> put CWR on it. The big bridge was always a
> problem. OOS, hope u have answers.

​Minnesota Corn Processing occupies American Sweetners and they do not get rail service ... i believe the line is oos and hasn't seen rail service in a few years

VFPNSFAN Wrote:
> So does this mean that the few deteriorated center
> cab switchers abandoned behind the Oaks expo
> center are related to industries once served
> there?

​i don't know anything about the center cabs but they weren't related to rail service that i know of ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 18:58 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/08/16 20:20
Author: Gonut1

Answers, The old rail engines and track cars in Oaks have nothing to do with any local industries.One steam engine had a board proclaiming it was the first Steamtown engine. The board is either faded or long gone. The sweeteners transloads are long closed. The entire branch from Perkiomen Junction is OOS. NS did store a lot of covered hoppers during the last economic mess. Once the cars were removed they did brush hog a lot of the line, up to the CCA siding above Oaks. NS also cut and removed rail above Phoenixville to OOS the line to Devault. During a roadand bridge project in Phoenixville they cut rails and moved a bridge a few feet highr to maintain highway traffic. So the entire branch or industrial track has been rusting away for years. Yes CR did install welded rail and even dropped more between Oaks and Phoenixville but never installed it. The best I can gather is the sweetener business went elswhere and the Phoenixville Industrial is toast.
Go

Date: 02/09/16 05:42
Author: mkostecky

Somewhere on the Railroad Earth!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds