Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Today's South Jersey Trains One With A Blue Leader

Date: 02/10/16 18:14
Today's South Jersey Trains One With A Blue Leader
Author: Out_Of_Service

1st train: got word that a usually nocturnal 62X Birdsdoro,Pa-Winslow,NJ stone train had motive power problems after it came into Pavonia Yard Camden,NJ ...  the local turn out of Pavonia WPCA51 has the honor of forwarding the stone on their daylight run and they have to do some of their regular switching work, so there's a little shuffling that has to take place to get on the tight curved lead for International Paper ... after they're switching they head out gaining momentum up the 12 mile grade ...

​2nd train: is of WPCA-11, the money maker chemical laded turn that has the blue leader today at Paulsboro waiting on a crew across from the yard office after making their P'boro pickup which is 75% of their train ...

​today the 51 crew has only one stop to switch International Paper ... because the switch is between 2 grade crossings they first split the stone from the IP loads ... then they drop the loads ... then they drop the road power up ahead with enough room for 10 cars plus the unit  ... they have to use the local unit because the curve is too tight for the 6 axles ... they then go retrieve the empties pick up the loads and shove back in with the 10 ... things were a mess here for years with the truck traffic blocking the grade crossing trying to get through the intersection ... the street lights were installed and things are much more controlled now

​more ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/16 10:25 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/10/16 18:18
Re: Today's South Jersey Trains One With A Blue Leader

puling 5 shoving 10 ...

more ...

Date: 02/10/16 18:24

they leave hoppers north of the  far road crossing which is a good size section of track to hold the 60 cars ... they'd normally take the empties with them but on this day they left them on the lead for tomorrow for pickup ...

more

Date: 02/10/16 18:29

after putting the units all together they go and make the joint with the hoppers get their air and are off heading south ...

more ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/16 18:49 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/10/16 18:34

rumbling up the grade in run 8 blowing for the crossings ... i couldn't tell who the hogger was but i got a cpl of toots ... Jeff the regular guy bounces around like a pin ball hopping back and forth from job to job ...

​more ...

Date: 02/10/16 18:40

the cars are a mix of conventional, ballast type, and former BM&LP air activated dump hoppers ... BLS "EVE" is the first Block Limit Station when heading south on the Beesley's Point Secondary ...

more ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/16 18:58 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/10/16 18:44

WPCA-11 unmanned in Paulsboro waiitng for a crew ...

​more

Date: 02/10/16 18:46

the dirty unit doesn't show good ...

fin  !!!!

Date: 02/10/16 20:28
Author: agrafton

Nice series, I know the area a little better now, Thanks

Date: 02/11/16 03:34
Author: dschlegel

Neat series!! Keep the stories like this coming!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/11/16 03:47
Author: jmbreitigan

OOS, I enjoyed this post & found it interesting. 
John

Date: 02/11/16 04:34
Author: VFPNSFAN

Great series, second to last really nice image.  Were the crossing lights flashing when that red truck crossed?  

Date: 02/11/16 04:40

VFPNSFAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great series, second to last really nice image.
>  Were the crossing lights flashing when that red
> truck crossed? 

no ... the lights are activated by a predictor circuit which is determined by speed so coming off the siding the lights activate on a delay as they get closer to the crossing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/16 10:27 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/11/16 05:35
Author: Gonut1

Nice Post!
Go

Date: 02/11/16 06:46
Author: ALcocentury

Real nice series of photos, I enjoyed them very much. Thanks for posting.

REK

Date: 02/11/16 11:05

thx all ... i don't get out as much as i'd like ... just got lucky with a local railfan group heads up for 51 and a text for 11 and forced myself to go out ... the 51 location is 5 minutes from my house .. i then went to see if i could find the 11 ... which is 20 minutes in the opposite direction ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/16 13:32 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/11/16 14:53
Author: PlyWoody

Large ballast trains in 1951-1952 were unloaded right at the location these photos were taken as the contractor built a large loop track to receive the ballast for the construction of the NJ Turnpike. The usual power on those stone trains was a PRR L-1s 2-8-2 locomotives or H-9s and H-10s 2-8-0 locomotives, or RDG I-9 camelback.  Photographer R. L. Long took several views of the L-1s as they were not common on the PRSL.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0921 seconds