Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX AW&P Sub Question

Date: 02/12/16 13:55
CSX AW&P Sub Question
Author: ns2557

Spent a few hours today trackside in the Newnan Ga area, specifically MP 43, which is about midway in the Moreland Siding here.

Some CSX Train questions for those who may know. SB out of the Fairburn Ga Intermodal Ramp, CSX runs some stack trains. I have seen a few over the year or 2 I found the location which provides me a place to shoot at. Some of these are powered by solid BNSF Power. Today, 1 of the SB's was indeed one of these. About mid morning was the one I saw, but did not get a shot of. What train would this have been? And I know these head for New Orleans La via Montgomery and Mobile Al, but what BNSF Line do the connect with at NOLA?

Second train was another SB. CSX 727 lead the 3307 and a r e a l long train. 179 car manifest. Again, what train would this have been? And last but not least, late afternoon another SB Stacker went past. CSX 7594 was the leader on this one? Any help with ID'ing these would be appreciated. Thanks. Ben

Date: 02/12/16 14:24
Re: CSX AW&P Sub Question
Author: ctillnc

Date: 02/12/16 16:09
Author: czephyr17

The BNSF trains you are seeing are not going to New Orleans (unless they were on detour).  They are BNSF trains operated by CSX crews via haulage rights that take a right at LaGrange, then go through Talladega to Birmingham, where they are turned over to BNSF which routes them through Memphis, Tulsa, and Avard, OK to Los Angeles.  As far as the customer is concerned, these are loaded at a BNSF ramp in Fairburn (if you look at the sign at the entrance to the Fairburn Ramp, you will see the BNSF logo as well as the CSX logo).  The trains could of course go to New Orleans to be turned over to BNSF there, but that is not how these trains are routed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/16 16:10 by czephyr17.

Date: 02/12/16 17:33
Author: florida581

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spent a few hours today trackside in the Newnan Ga
> area, specifically MP 43, which is about midway in
> the Moreland Siding here.
>
> Some CSX Train questions for those who may
> know. SB out of the Fairburn Ga Intermodal Ramp,
> CSX runs some stack trains. I have seen a few over
> the year or 2 I found the location which provides
> me a place to shoot at. Some of these are powered
> by solid BNSF Power. Today, 1 of the SB's was
> indeed one of these. About mid morning was the one
> I saw, but did not get a shot of. What train would
> this have been? And I know these head for New
> Orleans La via Montgomery and Mobile Al, but what
> BNSF Line do the connect with at NOLA?

For the Southbound (Westbound) BNSF intermodals out of Fairburn, there's Q184 (BNSF ZATGSBD) and Q186 (QATGLAC).  Q184 will have all domestic 53' containers and trailers.  Q186 will have both 53' domestic containers and 20' or 40' international containers.  As already noted, these trains are handed off to BNSF at Birmingham.

> Second train was another SB. CSX 727 lead
> the 3307 and a r e a l long train. 179 car
> manifest. Again, what train would this have been?
> And last but not least, late afternoon another SB
> Stacker went past. CSX 7594 was the leader on this
> one? Any help with ID'ing these would be
> appreciated.

Southbound CSX intermodals out of Fairburn includes Q133, Q145, Q155, and Q197.  Q145 to New Orleans / San Antonio will most likely have UP power and will have mostly domestic containers and a few international containers.  Tropicana reefers sometimes ride this train.  Q133 will have a large block of Hamburg Sud containers along with a fair mix of international and domestic containers.  Q155 will have a good mix of domestic and international containers.  There's usually a big block of Tropical containers.  Q197 is dominated with international containers along with some domestic containers.

Andrew

Date: 02/12/16 20:01
Author: ns2557

Thanks to all for the replies. From what I can gather, I saw the Q184 and Q133 plus the manifest.  Here is what I believe was/is Q133 today at MP 43 on the AWP Sub Newnan Ga in the siding at Moreland.   Of note in the shot is the "Marker Lights" still in place on the 7495. Makes this an ex CR unit, without having to dig to far for confirmation.  How many are still around on CSX with the Class Lights still in place? Thanks again.  Ben

Date: 02/13/16 21:47
Author: georgiaroad

I catch this train in LaGrange many times.  I highly recommend this area as you get all the traffic coming off the very busy Lineville Sub also.  The BNSF trains seem to show up between 10am and 2pm going north and later in the day going south at Lafayette Connection on the east side of LaGrange.

H in AL

​West Point GA 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/16 21:48 by georgiaroad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds