Home Open Account Help 202 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Phoenixville Station now Columbia Station

Date: 03/01/16 16:52
Phoenixville Station now Columbia Station
Author: CCDeWeese

This past weekend I attended the wedding of my grandson; the venue was called Columbia Station, and was in Phoenixville, PA.  I believe that it is on the former Bethlehem Branch of the Reading.  Anyone know if that is true, how did it become such a venue, and why did Phoenixville have such a large nice station structure?

Date: 03/01/16 17:23
Re: Phoenixville Station now Columbia Station
Author: Out_Of_Service

CCDeWeese Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This past weekend I attended the wedding of my
> grandson; the venue was called Columbia Station,
> and was in Phoenixville, PA.  I believe that it
> is on the former Bethlehem Branch of the
> Reading.  Anyone know if that is true, how did it
> become such a venue, and why did Phoenixville have
> such a large nice station structure?..

not the Bethlehem Branch which went via Lansdale ... this was the former RDG main line to Reading where it connected to the Lebanon Valley branch to Harrisburg, the Low Grade to Allentown and the Pottsville branch to Pottsville ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/16 18:49 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 03/01/16 17:39

Thanks OOS.  Becoming clearer.

Date: 03/02/16 06:22
Author: Gonut1

Phoenixville was the home of the Phoenix Bridge and Iron Company a major industry and therefore received a larger station to support the traffic. The Reading's Chester Springs Branch ran behind the station where the caboose sits today to serve the blast furnace and bridge works and beyond to the once famous Chester Springs. The station hasn't been active as such for over thirty years. It has been occupied by the present caterers and a previously a night club. Phoenixville once a very gritty industrial town has gentrified with a recent surge in up-scale restaurants, boutiques and taverns.

Date: 03/02/16 08:54

Thanks, Gonut.  It certainly is a nice venue.  Wonder what the origin of the name Columbia is?

Date: 03/02/16 11:11
Author: boejoe

I believe there was once a popular hotel/restaurant in Phoenixville called the Columbia Hotel.  When the station became available the venue was obtained primarily for wedding functions and other large banquets/catering events.  I think it has had the name, etc for quite a few years now - at least eight years to my recollection.  I also think there is a former Pennsy N5 caboose displayed on the property. 

Date: 03/02/16 12:41

There is a caboose that looked PRR; it's where the wedding party gathered to begin taking pictures while the guests went to a happy hour with lots of appetizers.  Good job well done in a nice venue.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds