Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > First visit to the Park Forest overlook

Date: 04/22/16 10:22
First visit to the Park Forest overlook
Author: xrds72

Having grown up in Park Forest, I left long before this connection was conceived. It was still the J and the IC with only the connection in the SE quadrant. I rode IC electrics many times, getting on in Richton and going into downtown Chicago or at least to 55/6/7th to the Museum of Science and Industry. 

Had an opportunity this week to visit the new overlook and was lucky enough to catch a CN freight coming off the J heading to Markham. Had CN 3034 leading with 3028 right behind and 2850 as a mid train helper. All ES44AC's. 

First shot shows the lead engine at the view platform

Second shot is the power going over the new connection into the main to head north over the new access from the east side parking lot to the Matteson station

Last shot is the original entrance to the station. They have put doors on the tunnel. I only remember the dank, dark tunnel leading up to the platforms and the hillside covered with trees. There was also a good pizza place across the street from the parking lot called IC Pizza. Long gone now, of course.   

The area has changed a lot, but also not that much. Seems smaller and more compact than when I grew up.

Date: 04/22/16 10:37
Re: First visit to the Park Forest overlook
Author: Ondaora20

Thanks for posting this. I started my RR career on the ICG in 1979. Recession and long-term layoff forced me to move on 4 years later, unfortunately. I lived in Richton for the 4 years I was there and had the pleasure of working the road as well as the commuter division as a brakeman and eventually as a conductor.

I've been back to the area a few times since this viewing platform was built, but have never had the time to visit this site. I hope to finally do that this summer. Felt a little twinge of sorrow recently when the last of the IC Highliners were retired. I met my future wife on those cars.

Not an area known for scenic beauty, but I grew to love the place, and was sorry when I was forced to move on.

Thanks again for posting.

Date: 04/22/16 14:56
Re: First visit to the Park Forest overlook
Author: calumet

This place is definitely worth a visit.  The new trackage is in Park Forest but the Metra Electric station is in Matteson.

For more information, go here:

http://dhke.com/CRJ/matteson.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds