Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Catching the Cumberland Mine Railroad

Date: 04/29/16 03:55
Catching the Cumberland Mine Railroad
Author: SDP40F600

Inspired in part by a recent post from Pittsburgh Mike, my friend Adam and I set out last Saturday in pursuit of the Cumberland Mine Railroad in southwest Pennsylvania. Like Pittsburgh Mike, we caught a train shortly after arriving along the line. But the similarities end there. He had a sunny day and caught a complete train out on the line. We had a cloudy day and the train we caught was the tail end of the job going into the unloading facility at Alicia. But we got enough of the operation to whet our appetite to make a return visit sometime.

(Photo 1) After the coal train disappeared into the unloading facility, a piece of track maintenance equipment came out followed by this single unit with a lone ballast car. It is shown crossing over Alicia Road.

(Photo 2) We caught the ballast train a short distance away about to cross over Pennsylvania Route 88.

(Photo 3) Back at the unloading facility at Alicia, the end of the coal train has come back out over the bridge crossing Alicia Road. We weren't sure how long it would take to unload this train and send the empties back to the mine, so we decided to head north to Pittsburgh. As I said, we'll be back again on a day when there is better weather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/16 03:57 by SDP40F600.

Date: 04/29/16 07:25
Re: Catching the Cumberland Mine Railroad
Author: jmbreitigan

I see the #1 locomotive has been painted since my last visit a few years ago. Craig, do you have the number for the locomotive in your first photo?
John

Date: 04/29/16 16:01
Author: ihb2920

What's the white cage thing on the rear of the unit for?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/30/16 03:54
Author: SDP40F600

The roster number for the unit in Photo No. 1 is 3098. I presume that the white cage- like device is a safety device in the event that a crew member is standing on the grab irons as the engine is moving. That is what it appears to be because I wondered the same thing, too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds