Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Installing old signals at residence

Date: 04/29/16 10:50
Installing old signals at residence
Author: P

Hello all. 

I have come across an old, restored pot signal that I wouild like to install in front of my house and light up.   After installing a concrete base and bolting the signal to the base, I was curious as to whether anyone has any suggestions on this installation - particularly with securing hte signal?

In general, I like to over-engineer things and feel like I should install this in such a way that it would be difficult for anyone else to remove.  If I install with bolts on screws, it would be easy enough to remove by anyone with a wrench.   Although I live in a subdivision with moderate traffic, I would feel better if I could somehow lock in the bolts while maintaining my own ability to remove and move the signal at some future date.    Any suggestions?

Private replies are welcome as well as responses to this thread. 

Date: 04/29/16 10:57
Re: Installing old signals at residence
Author: hoggerdoug

Depending on the size of the bolts, assuming the bolt head is in the concrete base, you could drill a hole through one or two and put a good grade padlock through the hole.  Other thing, once the bolts are fastened down, peen the end of the bolt so the nut cannot be loosend past the end. Down side of that is if you want to remove the nut off the bolt, it would have to be cut off with a hack saw or torch.  Doug

Date: 04/29/16 11:30
Author: ktownspotter

locktite the nuts. a remover is needed to take off. they come in different colors red ( i think ) is the strongest. blue is easier to remove without remover.

Date: 04/29/16 11:35
Author: Valleyman

To me the easy thing to do is go buy some extra long wheel studs! Embed them in concrete and install a couple of McGard nuts on them. Just don't loose the socket. Any auto parts store will have what you need. Two long studs should be enough.

By the way when when you embed the studs in concrete put a nut and large washer on the end that go into the cars axel. That way they won't pull through the cement.

Valleyman

Date: 04/29/16 11:37
Author: Buhl56

Try an auto supply store for locking lug nuts.  One size is 1/2-20 thread.  
They come with a special socket to fit.  May be a set of 4 (locks) or 20 with 4 locking.

Bill

Date: 04/29/16 11:37
Author: Lackawanna484

How about those bolts used to secure valuable wheels on your car's axle? Keep the key, of course.

Do you need zoning or construction permits to install signals?

(cross posted with two very smart people at the same moment)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/16 11:39 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 04/29/16 13:25
Author: davebb71

bolt 'em up and then weld 'em together. thieves and you will have a heck of time undoing a good weld job... dave, out.

Date: 04/29/16 23:09
Author: wa4umr

There is a puzzle I have that comes to mind.  It's a bolt with a lock washer on it and spread out slightly and a nut near the threaded end of the bolt.  The nut is welded on.  The bolt has some notches cut in the head.  The problem is how to get the washer off.  The really funny thing is that guys look at it and can't figure it out but ladies can solve it most of the time.  The guys see the nut that is welded and they know they can't take it off so they try to figure out how the notches play into the solution, and they don't.  They are a distraction.  The women will ignore the weld and try to remove the nut anyway.  The puzzle has the end of the bolt about two threads into the nut.  The nut is then screwed into the remaining threads.

This is about the best photo I could find.  There is a weld on the side of the nut you can't see.  The tip of the bolt extends a few threads into the nut.  You could use something like that.  Guys that would want to steal the signal would see the weld and just know that they are going to really have a problem getting those nuts off.  If they bring their wife's, you might be without a signal.  No matter what you do, if someone is determined to steal it, they are going to either steal it or tear it up in the process.  Sometimes deception works better than brute force.  Good luck.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds