Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Indiana RR ????

Date: 05/30/16 19:39
Indiana RR ????
Author: RustyRayls

Brother Dave & I are going to be driving through Indiana in late July. I would like to get a train on the Tulip Trestle. What is the traffic like there? Also - how much activity is there at the Bear Run Mine these days? We are not going to have a lot of time to sit in one place for very long so it will be mostly "guard-rail" shots from the side of the road.

TIA
Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 05/31/16 14:20
Re: Indiana RR ????
Author: BobE

I'd say "good luck."  The odds of getting a move in daylight aren't that high to begin with.  Handicapping it with "we won't have time to sit and wait" is a prescription for driving up, seeing an empty trestle, and leaving.

BobE

Date: 05/31/16 16:02
Author: howeld

Try this website. They would have a much better idea.
http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php

There is a guy who lives somewhere on the line that goes over the trestle and post nearly every move on the sitings pages for Indiana Railroad page.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/16 16:05 by howeld.

Date: 06/01/16 04:54
Author: P

Train or no train, it still would be worth a visit to take in the sight.  It is mighty impressive!

Date: 06/01/16 07:31
Author: IC1038west

Regardless of train sightings on the viaduct itself, your journey thru the area would be rewarding. The observation platform just north of the viaduct is worth a timeslot in itself. There is a nice historical background of the viaduct construction covered in displays at the platform. The towns of Bloomfield, Elliston (once a rail triple crossing location), Switz City, Linton are all close proximity for a compressed schedule. Get some ice cream at Yoho's in Solsberry. Indiana Rail Road book by Christopher Rund, Eric Powell and Fred Frailey (Indiana University Press) is a very good reference for your tight schedule. Have fun.

Date: 06/01/16 09:59
Author: iubusguy

Info is posted on the Yahoo INRD group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/INRD/info
There is a late afternoon west (southbound) movement, then a slightly later return train. With long summer dyas you may catch them in daylight.

Date: 06/01/16 14:09
Author: Ohiorailfan

You should easily be able to see a train on the trestle. When I was out there last fall, I saw the westbound Hiawatha train around 5pm.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/01/16 19:54
Author: stlrailfan

If your patient and have a few hours in the afternoon / early evening you should be able to get the mainfest freight out of Indy  going southnand the mainfest train out of Jasonville headed north.

Date: 06/02/16 07:43
Author: RustyRayls

Thank you all for the info!! It looks like we are out of luck on this one as we need to be in Kentucky by early evening.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1636 seconds