Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > An ALCO Coal Branch: The Beech Mountain Railroad

Date: 05/31/16 19:49
An ALCO Coal Branch: The Beech Mountain Railroad
Author: Appalachianrails

3/19/2016

In the middle of southeast West Virginia lies what is perhaps one of the most unique and underrated railroad operations of "The Mountain State." Originally built to serve a logging industry, the line now exists as part of the operations for the Carter-Roag Coal Company.

The railroad's locomotive roster consists of an ALCO S1 and S4. At the time of this video, the S4, =16.6px"Bear's Blue Ox" was the power for all of the runs from the mine to the interchange with the former B&O (now Appalachian and Ohio) at Alexander while the S1 was the switcher at the mine.

More information on this railroad's history can be found here: http://www.american-rails.com/beech.html

Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/16 20:01 by Appalachianrails.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/31/16 20:53
Re: An ALCO Coal Branch: The Beech Mountain Railroad
Author: wpamtk

I really miss those Alco sounds. I got to wondering how long it's been since I've seen a non-preserved/tourist Alco in actual service, and I think it was 2003. Got to get out more...

Date: 06/01/16 00:25
Author: pdt

Look at that, UPRR....  1000 hp handling 1000-2000 tons.   If it were on the up, thed have 3 GP-40's on that job. 

Date: 06/01/16 02:46
Author: kgmontreal

Neat stuff.  Enjoyed your video.

KG

Date: 06/01/16 04:37
Author: P

Neat video.  Is this railroad operating?  I thought I read last year that the mine was closing.

Date: 06/01/16 04:46
Author: RFandPFan

Fantastic video, thanks for sharing.  Is the BMRR still in operation?  I read some articles about the coal mine shutting down.  Also, any idea of the heritage of the ALCO's?  Thanks again!

Date: 06/01/16 06:20
Author: HB90MACH

If the mine does close, i would hope the switchers go to Scranton pa and join the other Alcos there in regular freight service

Date: 06/01/16 07:13
Author: Lakota-rail

Nice, the shot at Alexander is great.

Date: 06/01/16 18:03
Author: VFPNSFAN

Great video!!!

Date: 06/01/16 18:39
Author: inCHI

Good to see it still working. I posted the article in the fall that claimed that the mine would shut down in December. A more recent article (May) says layoff notices went out to the miners in February. But photos have been posted as recently as May. One would hope the job loss hasn't occured...

Date: 06/02/16 22:27
Author: coach

It's the turbo sound that I love, and the "rucka-rucka-rucka" sounds of the engine while throttling up.  Best sounding switch engine series ever:  S-2 / S-4 / S-6.  Plus, they are known for being rugged, reliable engines, as told to me by the Alameda Belt Line engineer many years ago.  He loved the Alco's for their raw pulling power.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds