Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dayton District Signal Replacement as of yesterday

Date: 07/29/16 20:10
Dayton District Signal Replacement as of yesterday
Author: tq-07fan

Two weeks ago I posted some pictures of the signal replacement project on the Norfolk Southern Dayton District.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4076095
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4076072
The signals being replaced in this scheme are mostly from the Conrail era when this was known as the Cincinnati Line. My dad and I went out yesterday to document and see what was being done where. I have made up a list of signals, a few may not be correctly named if they cannot easily be viewed.

Signals going from CP 209 toward Columbus. everything from CP 198 going east has a PTC antenna up as well.
CP 209 Don't know? last time there were no replacements but is is in an area that requires drive-by railfanning.
207 No replacements and no PTC antenna as of July 15th
205 No replacements and no PTC antenna as of July 14th
202 No replacements yet. A new relay cabinet and PTC antenna has been dropped. A new base has been dropped but I do not know if it is for a signal or the antenna.
200 I could not remember where it was so I did not find it.
CP 198 (Fairborn) PTC antenna installed and new signals on the ground. Type G signals still in use.
195 (Spangler Rd Fairborn) New signals in service.
196 (Snider Rd Enon) New Signals in service.
CP 190 (Enon) Type G Signals still in service. Replacement Signals are up but not turned.
CP 188 (Cold Springs) New Signals in service.
185 (Main Street Springfield) No replacement signals or signs of replacements but PTC antenna installed.
CP 182 (Springfield, includes the wye for the Bellfontain Branch and the I & O connection) Type G signals still in service. All signals have replacement signals up but not yet turned.
178 (Ohio State Rt 41) No replacements or signs of replacements but PTC antenna installed.
CP 176 Replacement signals have been up.
172 (Plattsburg Ohio State Rt 54) No replacement signals or signs of replacement signals but PTC antenna up. Also new relay case.
169 (Summerford Rd) New signals
16? New signals
CP 162 (London) eastbound signals have replacements up but not yet turned. Westbound no replacements.
CP 160 replacements up but not yet turned.
158 (Glade Run Rd) No replacements up 
155? Replacements Up but not yet turned
152? (West Jefferson) Replacements up but not yet turned.
CP 150 Replacements up but not yet turned
CP 146 Penn Central installed PRR position light signals still in use but there is a new cantilever up and new signals up but not turned.
CP 144 Penn Central installed PRR position light signals still in use for eastbounds. Westbound has been new signals. Did not get down there to see if any new signals were up.

Some pictures from yesterday. I took just about everything on the list except 200. If you want to see more stuff let me know.
1) What I think was 39A crossing Main Street in Springfield at signal 185. 185 is the distant for Enon and is displaying yellow over green for the train to take the siding at Enon.
2) At Ohio State Route 54 in Plattsburg Ohio signal 172 has new relay cabinets and PTC antenna but no new signals.
3) At Summerford Rd a new signal is up. This stretch had some ancient NYC signals in the 1980's but I don't know if they were replaced in between that time and now.

Date: 07/29/16 20:11
Re: Dayton District Signal Replacement as of yesterday

Picture 3 was taken around 6:30 pm. We were driving east toward a big huge dark cloud and in less than thirty minutes we were in extremely heavy rain. I parked inbetween the NYC and PRR tracks and actually rolled down the window for the shot of 305 going through CP 162 here when I heard them call the signal it was raining that hard.
4-6) NS 305 passing through CP 162 from the former NYC onto the former PRR. 

Date: 07/29/16 20:12

London Ohio was where the Pennsylvania mainline from Columbus to Indianapolis and the New York Central mainline (Cleveland to) Burt to Cincinnati crossed. This was on of the first places that Penn Central tried to reduce redundant track by routing everything onto the Pennsy from Columbus to London then trains would split up to go to Dayton via Springfield or Xenia. At the end of 1984 the last through train through Xenia ran and the line became a branch, later to be cut back to South Charleston then finally to an industry in London. What I find interesting is that for so little traffic on the former PRR they added the Approach aspect to the new signal. I forgot to mention that the signals here in London were put in around 1992 or so when the PRR was single tracked from CP 150 to CP 160. Before that there were still PRR signals including for the former main at London.
7) Side view of new and old signals. 
8) The cantilever for the westbound side was put in late in Conrail or early in NS and has no replacement showing yet.
9) Signal 158 at Glade Run Rd has no replacement up and no new relay case but the PTC antenna is up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/16 20:26 by tq-07fan.

Date: 07/29/16 20:13

We took pictures of the other signals and then while trying to see if there was an intermediate between CP 150 and CP 146 we heard a train call a clear signal and then the scanner battery died. I crossed Alton Darby Road and saw the headlight. We thought about trying to go to Doherty Road but I was unsure if I could make it there in time so came back for the telephoto of the PRR signal bridge and CP 146. One of the goals of the day was to get a Clear signal on one of the PRR signals and we got it, albeit a but far away.
10) Unknown eastbound.
11) Unknown westbound approaching the signal bridge at CP 146. 
12) From there we ate at Bob Evans before coming back for the shot from Doherty Rd to end the day of signal shots on the Dayton District.

Thank You for Looking!

Jim 

Date: 07/29/16 20:22
Author: mhiser

You should make an effort to catch any time the I&O uses the Dayton Dist between Sharonville to Cold Springs or Springfield. Once the PTC is turned the I&O won't be able to run the entire length with G&W not installing PTC equipment on any of the locomotives. They should be able to still run up to Middletown and the Mason Sub as its under the 20 mile limit for non PTC equipped locos.  

Date: 07/30/16 05:26
Author: ns1000

I like the shots in the rain......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0723 seconds