Home Open Account Help 152 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Allentown & Auburn

Date: 08/21/16 09:00
Allentown & Auburn
Author: OCtrainguy

Still playing catch up on my photos.  On July 30th, I had my first visit to the Allentown & Auburn Railroad as part of a charter. Their station is in Kutztown, PA and their line runs down to Topton, which meets the NS Reading Line.  The weather wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.  We had some rain down to Topton, but it stopped for our lunch and time to check out the A&A shop and yard in Topton.  We saw one NS train during our time, the 211, before storm clouds moved in and it started to rain.  But the rain ceased for our photo runbys.  Here are some photos.

1.  Conrail bay window caboose used for our train
2.  Another look at the caboose
3.  The engine has arrived and is hooking up to the train

More photos to come.

Date: 08/21/16 09:03
Re: Allentown & Auburn

Continuing the photos.

4.  Our first photo runby was mid-line around the picnic grove  
5.  At Topton and a recently repainted Reading hopper
6.  Also at Topton was this CNJ caboose

A few more to come.

Date: 08/21/16 09:05

The last of the photos.

7.  Our ride back to Kutztown was via this PRR doodlebug.  This was the one that was in Ringoes, NJ on the Black River & Western
8.  We did a few photo runbys with the doodlebug.  Here's one at the farm adjacent to the A&A shops in Topton
9.  The doodlebug and the crew back to the station in Kutztown at the end of a successful day

Hope you enjoy!

Date: 08/21/16 09:46
Author: The_Chief_Way

Looks like a nice operation. That doodlebug is a gem. I'd like to ride in one of those.

Date: 08/21/16 10:14
Author: jim6300loco

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a nice operaion. That doodlebug is a
> gem. I'd like to ride in one of those.
The doodle bug will run on Labor Day for paying passengers.
Jim

Date: 08/23/16 10:55
Author: bioyans

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a nice operation. That doodlebug is a
> gem. I'd like to ride in one of those.

They should seriously consider at least painting the thing. Putting paying passengers in a huge bucket of rust doesn't instill  lot of confidence in the public that you are running a safe operation.  It's not like that is original PRR paint on it.

Date: 08/23/16 12:28
Author: nhiwwrr

Wilmington and Western operates their PRR Doodlebug #4662 every Friday June through August for regular excursions, as well as many other dates each month for various trips, from Dinner trains to Charters to regular excursions....and they have Air Conditioning on it for the hot summer months.

Www.wwrr.com

Good to see the 4666 has joined the operating status after years in storage.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds