Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Oil trains Horseshoe curve Autumn splendor

Date: 08/22/16 19:27
Oil trains Horseshoe curve Autumn splendor
Author: highgreengraphics

Well, it's almost that time again - Mid-October is usually peak Autumn leaf season on Horseshoe Curve, and there should be some new angles now that the lower brush has been cut. Last year was my first time there, and on 10-11 an oil train ascends Horseshoe Curve amid the Autumn splendor, framed by mileposts, from the Kittaning Point side of the curve Leader NS 6722 is an EMD SD60I, ex-Conrail 5584, built in 11/94.. Not quite at their peak, it was said the maximum colors were about two weeks late here last year. An hour later, another oil train passes the blockhouse near the public viewing spot. I was dreaming of Pennsy stuff, but at least what appeared around the corner had pinstripe looks which suggested the spirit of the Standard Railroad my grandfather worked for in the 1920's. I haven't yet decided if I will make the long jump there this October, but I had best decide soon! === === = === JLH  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/16 22:42 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 08/22/16 20:46
Re: Oil trains Horseshoe curve Autumn splendor
Author: wheelnrail

I've been planning on a 2 week road trip, encompasing Pennsylvania, WV, and Kentucky for the fall colors over the past year. I can't wait.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/22/16 23:58
Author: Thoroughbred-Ed

Beautiful  !
Thanks for sharing  !  

Eddie  Durnwald
Fostoria,  Ohio

Date: 08/23/16 03:42
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice JLH
John

Date: 08/23/16 17:29
Author: tq-07fan

Anyone considering going to Pennsylvania or West Virginia for leaf season should be making reservations now. My dad and I came through both states after Motor Bus Society in Fall 2010 and hotels were scarce. We ended up staying in Elkins West Virginia which was the only hotel available in the whole state the one night. It worked out because we got pictures of the Western Maryland BL-2 on Mountain Rail the next morning. Leaf season is a huge deal in certain areas of the two states.

Jim

Date: 08/23/16 18:10
Author: Out_Of_Service

that area in the first photo use to be considered privste pproperty and off limits and the NS law was adamant on keeping people off off limits ... did they open it for the public now

Date: 08/23/16 22:34
Author: highgreengraphics

I followed other fans up the other side, and to our astonishment, there was a young guy photographing a girl in a dress who was sitting between the tracks. We read them the riot act! Other than that, no signs and no problems. === === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds