Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Millville Quarry, Harpers Ferry, WV

Date: 08/26/16 05:40
Millville Quarry, Harpers Ferry, WV
Author: VFPNSFAN

When my wife suggested a family vacation in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, I was quite happy to look at rental options knowing CSX has a double track main line through the town with substantial volume. We rented a house on the Shenandoah River.  One of the reviews we read mentioned the noise of quarry operations but not intolerable.  Well the quarry noise was mainly locomotives shifting cars, building stone trains, and blowing the crossing in the yard.  I'm sure most renters would be upset, not me.  I enjoyed Railfaning by ear from our house.  It was a nice extra bonus to the trip.  This past Monday we tubed on the Shenandoah.  The bus took us right past the quarry and yard on our way to put in the river.  I returned a few days later to photograph the CSX road power and Aggregate Industries #341.

more to follow

Date: 08/26/16 05:42
Re: Millville Quarry, Harpers Ferry, WV

Three more of 341

Date: 08/26/16 05:46

Talked to a friendly CSX crew member after he tied down his unit.  Talked briefly about operations.  Said they run two loaded stone trains per day to Washington DC and two empties return.  He said the GP7 hasn't moved in two years.  He said they have three more units inside the quarry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 06:03 by VFPNSFAN.

Date: 08/26/16 05:48

Few more road power, looks like 707 has new trucks.

Date: 08/26/16 05:50

A few more yard pics 

Date: 08/26/16 05:55

We day hiked up the mountain on the Maryland side of the river.  After an hour or so of steep hiking there is a cliff overlook area with amazing views. In the last photo you can see a loaded stone train about to enter the main from the quarry spur.  Really amazing place to experience trains.  The sound echoing off the mountains is awesome.

Date: 08/26/16 07:17
Author: ClubCar

Nice photos even though some are sideways.  I especially enjoyed seeing Harpers Ferry from over on the Maryland side.  The biggest hurdle is the climb up to the top and you must be aware of the snakes in the area many of which are poisonous.  I remember hearing about a rail fan who was bitten by a Copper Head in that area and he wound up going to the hospital.  He was very lucky that he received some quick action from medics and he survived.
​John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 07:18 by ClubCar.

Date: 08/26/16 11:56
Author: RFandPFan

The rock trains go to Bladensburg, MD just outside DC on the Alexandria Branch between Hyattsville and Benning Yard. When I lived up there they used a caboose for the backup move. The train would pull north of JD Interlocking to Riverdale and then back down the branch to the facility.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 13:42 by RFandPFan.

Date: 08/26/16 13:27
Author: ns1000

I REALLY like those aerial shots of Harpers Ferry!!

Date: 08/26/16 19:49
Author: cinder

WOW.....Those pictures are really.................. WIOW.

Date: 08/27/16 12:11

Thanks for the comments and feedback, I appreciate it👍👍

Date: 08/27/16 13:21
Author: Lackawanna484

Image of the Day, and Athlete of the Week?  That looks like a really steep climb

Date: 08/28/16 15:07
Author: superchief1944

In the first overview of Harper's Ferry I can see a trio of stone bridg piers crossing the river: what were those used for? I looked at my SPV map books and there is no indication that any railroad crossed there.

And I agree with the other persons who have posted comments here - the Harper's Ferry photos are terrific.

Date: 08/28/16 16:36

Possibly a vehicle bridge?  The hike is an hour from the trailhead along the old C&O canal to the overlook spot.  It's 2.8 miles one way.  You go up 900-1000 ft above river, then the last ten minutes you are descending.  The lookout is approximately 600-700ft above the river.  It's strenuous, got the blood pumping.  We did it once in evening, which is when the last photo was taken, other two of the town were taken about 11am.  Sun position in am is much more favorable.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0766 seconds