Home Open Account Help 177 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Couple of Old Friends

Date: 07/28/03 15:08
A Couple of Old Friends
Author: daveb

Stopped yesterday to pay my respects.....

Date: 07/28/03 15:15
Re: A Couple of Old Friends
Author: varailfan

That might as well be a photo of two caged animals. It hurts to see those two marvels of engineering "stuffed & mounted" like that. I\'ll never forget my trips behind 1218 as a kid. Rest in Peace!

Jeff Hawkins - Richmond, VA

Date: 07/28/03 15:17
Author: nycman

That almost makes me cry. Those two locomotives gave so much pleasure to so many people, not just railfans. At least they have a roof over them.

Date: 07/28/03 15:58
Author: 5711

I wish I could say, "A Couple of Old Friends".

The opportunity never presented itself since the Navy had me assigned elsewhere. I joined the North Florida Chapter of the NRHS about two years after the 611 / 1218 excursion program ended. They had sponsored quite a few.

The news of the death of the program came in the form of an auction house pamphlet mailed to all subscribers of the magazine "Locomotive & Railway Preservation" (L&RP along with Passenger Train Journal were later swallowed up and digested by Pentrex).

This summer I hosted Carl S. Jensen and party on two excursions out of Baltimore for the NRHS convention. He rode in the Watauga Chapter\'s coach "Powhatan Arrow". With this crowd onboard, the proper pronunciation of the word "Powhatan" is a must.

I botched it bad, on the P.A. system, before we left Baltimore. "Sorry gentlemen, I was told by a Yankee." Well, at least they didn\'t throw me off the train.

Maybe I can get out to Steve Lee\'s railroad before the fate befalls the 844 and 3985.

-PRR 5711

Date: 07/28/03 17:38
Author: kirklager

Where are those stored at?

Date: 07/28/03 17:42
Author: daveb

They are at the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke.

Date: 07/29/03 00:41
Author: ball-n-bar

I will never forget her...I remember the first time I got a chance to see the 611. It was 1983, I believe, and it visited Sterling, IL on a special...it was love at first site. And I recall the last time I will probably see her, it was 8-1-94 at the NS calumet (Chicago, IL) roundhouse as I brought in my train from CNW Proviso. The smells and the sounds are something all should share and it is a shame to see her stuffed and mounted. At least she is still in one piece and not a bumper on a 74 Dodge!!!

Ken Larson
UP Chicago

Date: 07/29/03 09:47
Author: nw2147

Was at the museum in Roanoke right before the 4th of July and saw the 1218. Lots of pieces missing - no pistons on front engines, no gauges, firebox empty . . . anyone know what happened to the parts? Hopefully they are somewhere easily accessible if the pendulum ever swings back to allow operations in the East again. Let\'s all hope for a quick end to the Goode regime.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds