Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Geo Train evaluating Pan Am Southern track

Date: 09/24/16 04:49
NS Geo Train evaluating Pan Am Southern track
Author: JPB

NS Geo came up the D&H from Harrisburg earlier this week led by NS GP40-2 3035 and visited Pan Am Southern Thursday 9/22 eastward and Friday 9/23 westward. The "Test Extra" as the Pan Am crew called it overnighted in front of Ayer tower. The train was wyed and backed out to the east end of CPF-AY in the mid-morning to begin its trek home. It's not clear to me where and when but a UP SD70ACe had to be added to power the extra.

I'm guessing that the test extra found the MBTA track between Ayer and Fitchburg to be in decent shape. But west of Fitchburg to Mechanicville, I'm betting it was a different story (to be fair to Pan Am, it has just begun a tie renewal program east of E Deeerfield).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/16 04:53 by JPB.

Date: 09/24/16 05:43
Re: NS Geo Train evaluating Pan Am Southern track
Author: Out_Of_Service

if i'm top dog on the rear of that car the first question out of my mouth would be "WHY THHE HELL ARE THOSE "R' and "S" SIGNS DOING UP ???

Date: 09/24/16 16:11
Author: VFPNSFAN

Great shots, what is the function of the R and S signs?

Date: 09/24/16 20:46
Author: SCKP187

Nice photos. My question also---what do the   R    and     S      signs indicate?  as I don't recall seeing them before.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/25/16 00:19
Author: prr4828

An old 3-ring edition of NORAC Rules says:
* S - Working Limits Speed Limit Sign - Proceed not exceeding 30 mph until passsing a [Resume Speed] sign unless otherwise instructed by the employee in charge.
* R - Working Limits Resume Speed Speed Sign - Resume speed after the entire train has passed the Working Limits Speed Sign.

* JB *

VFPNSFAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots, what is the function of the R and S
> signs?

Date: 09/26/16 02:46
Author: Out_Of_Service

> VFPNSFAN Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great shots, what is the function of the R and
> S
> > signs?

prr4828 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An old 3-ring edition of NORAC Rules says:
> * S - Working Limits Speed Limit Sign - Proceed
> not exceeding 30 mph until passsing a sign unless
> otherwise instructed by the employee in charge.
> * R - Working Limits Resume Speed Speed Sign -
> Resume speed after the entire train has passed the
> Working Limits Speed Sign.
>
> * JB *

speed signs are for TEMPORARY <<< (key word) speed restrictions ...

there is NO standard specific SPEED associated to a speed restriction ... each speed restriction has an associated speed assigned to it whether for the class of track or for conditions other than track conditions such as passing MW work crews ...

there are ALWAYS 3 signs connected with a temporary speed restriction ...

an Approach Speed Limit Sign ... which has the numerical speed on it to warn trains a restriction is ahead and is placed at the max braking distance away from the restriction to allow trains to slow for the restriction ...

the Speed Limit Sign ... which has an "S" and is placed at the beginning of the restriction to tell trains that location is where the restriction starts 

the Resume Speed Sign ...which has an "R" and is placed at the end of the restriction ... check note 

note ..

for track that is restricted for track conditions the trains must not resume normal speed until the entire train is clear of the temporary restrction ... 

for temporary speed restrictions other than track conditions trains can resume normal speed as soon as the headend is past the resume sign ...

Date: 09/26/16 18:02
Author: Lackawanna484

Yes.  That wording also shows up in train orders to pass through a work zone.   Speed limit is stated, from point X to point Y, followed by:  "Speed signs displayed" Yes or No

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds