Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Uh Oh, This should be interesting to say the least

Date: 09/24/16 15:43
Uh Oh, This should be interesting to say the least
Author: ns2557

Well, Imagine my surprise today when I witnessed this.  Was down south of Newnan Ga along the AW&P with some time to kill and decided to drop down by the CSX Tracks here.  After catching 2 trains, one each direction I noticed this truck making it's way to the crossing here at MP XXB 43.02. Basically the mid point of the siding at moreland Ga.  This driver didn't quite make the turn all the way as one can see. I witnessed the whole thing from start to finish.  While the driver got out as I was making my way down to where he was at I heard nothing but a bunch of hollering and others fun words.  After telling him to get ahold of whoever he needed to I told him I would take care of the RR side of things. Called the CSX 911 Nmbr and reported what, where, etc to a very nice young lady named Jodie.  She got thing stopped around the area while the driver was doing whatever.  In talking with this guy, I discovered that this was the 2nd time he had "grounded" his vehicle on crossing RR tracks. The other was apparently not far south of this one here, and resulted in a "strike".  I really didn't have many kind words for him. He was more worried about what his situation was than anything else. Not that I can't say I would have been concerend also, but not so much with what was going to happen with him and his employer. After CSX got their end of things under control, I tried to see if I could help this guy out. Fortunately, I guess, the crossing in question was being used rather often by some others who had vehicles heavy enough and stout enough to help get him unstuck. All in all abt 15 minutes. This guy was still having issues after they managed to get him off the tracks here. Once he cleared off the tracks, he straightened out and went over the crossing. Thought he was gonna do it again with they way the rear trlr tandems went over, the ditch along the south side was rather deep and he just sorta "gunned" it over.  I mentioned to him that "If ever ya find yourself in a situation like this "again" look for the blue signs with the 800 Nmbr/Crossing Location by MP/and Crossing nmbr and take care of that first. More or less , get the trains stopped if you are not hurt, so you won't be hurt. Just didn't seem to sink in to him tho.  But No damage to tracks or even his trailer, but the condition of the trailer, which looked like it was abt to break in half, with quite the sepeartion on the box side frame which I believe should have put it out of commision at minmum. CSX did come out and check everything.  It's guys like ths gent, that give me the "willies" when I am out and abt driving myself. If they are not paying attention at a critical spot such as this, It makes me think, they probably are not doing the same elsewhere.  Just saying.  What a day.  Ben

Date: 09/24/16 15:52
Re: Uh Oh, This should be interesting to say the least

In the 2nd shot, that btm "frame" is what had the seperation of at least an inch or more on the opposite side.  A good driver would not have even entertained the thought of taking this one out on the roads. Had quite the sag in the mid point.  Loaded with Hay, is what the drvr tod me.

Date: 09/24/16 15:55
Author: highgreengraphics

Trailer looks like rolling junk... === === = === JLH

Date: 09/24/16 16:09

highgreengraphics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trailer looks like rolling junk... === === = ===
> JLH

It most def was.

Date: 09/24/16 16:54
Author: junctiontower

Evidently the "Drive safely" placard on the rear door was meant for EVERYBODY ELSE.....

Date: 09/24/16 20:41
Author: SCKP187

Hey, that looks fun---he will probably never figure it out.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/24/16 20:46
Author: thehighwayman

highgreengraphics Wrote:
> Trailer looks like rolling junk... === === = ===
> JLH

The old Ford single-axle tractor probably isn't in much better shape ... can't remember how many years ago Ford stopped making anything bigger than a pickup.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 09/25/16 03:26
Author: steamloco

I drove one off those Ford tractors like the one in the picture and it was a 1972 model.

Date: 09/25/16 05:23
Author: dpudave

Good work, Ben, glad you happened by. You deserve a medal, or at least a sincere "atta boy" from everyone who runs trains. d

Date: 09/25/16 18:28
Author: MC6853

thehighwayman Wrote:
> The old Ford single-axle tractor probably isn't in
> much better shape ... can't remember how many
> years ago Ford stopped making anything bigger than
> a pickup.

The ironic part is the Ford pickups these days are about the size of that tractor...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds