Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Dothan Sub as of September 2016

Date: 09/27/16 19:01
CSX Dothan Sub as of September 2016
Author: ConrailVito

A few weeks ago, I decided to head to take a little road trip to Valdosta and Waycross to check out some of the train traffic there. On the way there, coming from the east on I-10, I got off the interstate just south of Dothan and decided to take the somewhat longer way around and go via US 84 and follow the CSX Bow Line to Waycross and check it out since this line has sort of sparked my interest lately and I had not been out to see the line before. I didnt see any trains at all, nor did I hear a peep on the radio scanner (Except occasional fuzz) as I traveled parallel to the tracks most of the way. I've tried doing a bit of research on the line and see what it is like today and I havent seen much, so I take it this is not a line that many people pay attention to, which doesnt really surpise me. What I am wondering is what are operations over the Bow Line these days, and if the little downfall and cost cutting the railroads have been doing lately have affected anything for the line. I remember seeing an old thread on here a few days ago (I think from 2007 or 2008 maybe?...) about CSX moving Waycross and Jacksonville traffic off the P&A line on the Florida panhandle and taking it to the Bow Line. Is this still the case or have things changed again in recent years? Any help or info would be appreciated....

Date: 09/27/16 20:48
Re: CSX Dothan Sub as of September 2016
Author: darkcloud

Date: 09/27/16 20:51
Re: CSX Dothan Sub as of September 2016
Author: florida581

The entire Bow Line from Waycross to Montgomery has been downgraded to 25 mph, local only traffic.  A723 and A724 are the super locals that run the entire length of the Bow Line.  They drop off and pick up at multiple locations along the way.  It's not uncommon for these two to have 150-200 cars.  Other locals that serve online customers are based in smaller yards such as Valdosta, Thomasville, Dothan, etc.  Other than that, there are occasional pipe trains off of the Bay Line at Dothan and grain trains to Valdosta.

Andrew

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds