Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway/R&N last weekend

Date: 10/16/16 19:13
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway/R&N last weekend
Author: OCtrainguy

These photos are in supplement to photos of R&N 425 last Sunday.  (http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4141070)

I made a weekend trip to the Lehigh Gorge.  Saturday afternoon was spent bicycle riding in the Lehigh Gorge State Park.  It was overcast, but no rain.  A nice surprise was that the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway trains were powered by a Reading & Northern GP39 in lieu of the Lehigh Gorge themed SD50.  There wasn't a lot of color yet, but there were some places where the birch trees were yellow in color.  Here are my photos from last weekend.

1.  The lower part of the park between MP 124 & MP 125.
2.  A bicyclist on a recumbent bicycle takes a break and waves to the passing train.  This is north of MP 126.
3.  The train has just cleared the NS signals for MP 126

More to follow. 

Date: 10/16/16 19:19
Re: Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway/R&N last weekend

Sunday morning started off cloudy.  I was keeping my fingers crossed the skies would clear as the day progressed as the weather forecast was predicting.

4.  The first Lehigh Gorge train of the day has entered the Lehigh Gorge State Park
5.  The first Hometown High Bridge Special train leaves Jim Thorpe with a pair of GP39s (2531 & 2532)  on each end with two coaches in the middle
6.  A going away photo of the Hometown High Bridge Special

More to follow.

Date: 10/16/16 19:23

Continuing the photos from Sunday.

7.  R&N switcher at Jim Thorpe
8.  The first Hometown High Bridge Special returning to Jim Thorpe
9.  Sunday afternoon and a Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway train rolls through the lower part of the park as the sun starts to pop out

Monday photos to follow.

Date: 10/16/16 19:31

Last of the photos.  These are from Columbus Day.

10. The Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway eleven o'clock train leaving the station

I was checking out the extremely low levels of the Lehigh River at the river access area in the municipal parking lot when I heard a train horn.  I knew it wasn't the LGSR train, so it was either a NS train or a R&N.  To my surprise, it was a R&N local (possibly the Pittston to Lehighton and back job?) with SD50s 5022 & 426.  I didn't have my bigger lens on me, so I did what I could with the lens I had and the lighting.

11. The R&N local pulls up past the old Route 209 bridge with about six cars and shoves back into the yard 
12.  After dropping cars off, the R&N local rounds the curve in Jim Thorpe with just the two engines and continues past the station and heads to Lehighton

Overall it was an enjoyable weekend.  While there were clouds on Saturday and Sunday through the early afternoon, I would take that over the rain we had back home in New Jersey.  Hope you enjoy the photos! 

Date: 10/17/16 04:26
Author: SRSD45

Nice photos. I rode the Pennsylvania Dutch train at the end of last month from Jim Thorpe to White Haven and return. Nice trip and scenery. Earl...

Date: 10/17/16 05:21
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice work in less then ideal conditions. With no sun your camera angles are unlimited.
John

Date: 10/17/16 06:21
Author: ns1000

Good stuff...!!  Pic 2 is my favorite.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0662 seconds