Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pittsburgh Area Help/Advice

Date: 11/27/16 10:30
Pittsburgh Area Help/Advice
Author: bigjim4life

I will be out in the Pittsburgh area next month, the week between Christmas and New Years, and will have a day or two (at least one day by myself, and perhaps a second with my three-year old daughter) to railfan in the Pittsburgh area.  These will both be weekdays, so I'm hoping to get some advice from my fellow railfans out on that side of the state.  I will have a car, but will prefer to remain within a half-hour or so of downtown Pittsburgh.  On the day by myself, what short lines are in the area and active/accessible to do video/stills?  B&LE?  Any connecting railroads or other regional lines?  And then for the day with my daughter, anywhere good to go that's either indoors or trackside (from the heat/comforts of my car) in/near the downtown area that we can go for good/busy mainline NS/CSX action?  Thanks!!

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 11/27/16 11:34
Re: Pittsburgh Area Help/Advice
Author: K3HX

For an indoor activity, quite a large model RR display.

Carnegie Science Center
One Allegheny Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15212

This may also be a good one for the young person, lots of
"hands-on" stuff to do.

We have 2 inclines:

http://duquesneincline.org/

And the Monongahela Incline.....

http://www.portauthority.org/paac/SchedulesMaps/Inclines.aspx

The inclines offer a good view of the city and the railroad.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert  K3HX

Date: 11/27/16 12:46
Author: Lackawanna484

The NS line from Conway splits on the north side of Pittsburgh into the Conemaugh Line (preferred east bound route for loads), and the Pittsburgh Line (through the station and out through Latrobe for empties, lighter loads and Amtrak). The split isn't in a convenient location for photography (on an elevation, a block from the Warhol Museum).

The Allegheny Valley Railroad might be running. The Southwestern PA and the street running in West Brownsville are outside your time circle.  Pittsburgh has a decent light rail network if you like to ride trains, and the Duquesne Incline and Mount  Washington Incline are fun, with a great view.

Date: 11/27/16 16:33
Author: RuleG

I beleive that the best single location in the Pittsburgh area to see the most CSX and NS action is the Waterfront* shopping center in Homestead and West Homestead, about a 20 - 30 minute drive from Downtown Pittsburgh, depending on traffic.  Located in the Monongahela Valley southeast of Downtown Pittsburgh, the Waterfront was developed on the former site of US Steel's Homestead Works, of which a few remnants remain.  You can park within the shopping complex to view trains (can't advise as to whether that would attract the attention of security) or on the other side of the tracks in Homestead Borough.  There are also plenty of places to eat or, if you wish, do some post-Christmas shopping.  The Barnes & Noble has a decent selection of rail magazines.

If the Waterfront is too far, you can try Station Square which offers views of CSX and NS, although the latter will be difficult to photograph, because NS runs along the north side of Mt. Washington.

In addition to the model railroad display at the Carnegie Science Center, the "Polar Express" and "Rocky Mountain Express" movies will be showing at the Omnimax Theater.  Don't know if either is suitable for a three-year old.

Have a great time.

*  Not to be confused with the Waterworks shopping center which is located northeast of Downtown Pittsburgh in the Allegheny Valley and across a road from the NS Conemaugh Line.

Date: 11/27/16 17:08
Author: DJ-12

Good advice so far. In addition:

1. Station square across from downtown Pittsburgh has several restaurants with trackside viewing of the CSX main. There is also a nice plaza with benches which is more of a summertime venue.
2. West aka Allegheny Commons park on the north side afford a nice view of CP PENN where trains on the NS main transit the park in a trench. Good for cloudy day shooting. The trench is 4 tracks wide here. Outer 2 tracks are the PIttsburgh Line and the inner 2 are the Conemaugh Line. This is also a good spot to catch the AVR around later morning/lunchtime for the daily turn to Island Ave yard. The park has a small playground for kids south of the trench next to the tennis courts. Just north of the park within walking distance is the National Aviary which is very kid friendly. This is also a very short drive from the Carnegie science center which as noted has a huge O scale layout and lots of kids stuff.
3. A  20-25 min drive north on PA route 65 gets you to Leetsdale with the 4 track mainline signal bridges on the NS main. Almost all NS traffic in the area goes through here. 

I would stick to these and the other suggestions and you should do well. You asked about the BLE which is not far, but very hit or miss. It's better than even money that anything on this end of the railroad will be at night this time of year.

Date: 11/28/16 13:18
Author: ns1000

Where do you park when you go to the Allegheny Commons Park?? 

Date: 11/28/16 14:28
Author: RuleG

ns1000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do you park when you go to the Allegheny
> Commons Park?? 

One can park on Brighton Road along the western edge of the park.  However, when the Pirates or Steelers have home games, it will be difficult to find parking in the park area.

Date: 11/29/16 19:28
Author: BruceStikkers

Thanks for the ideas, I am going to visit my granddaughter who is going to the University of Pittsburgh this weekend and the info will be helpful. We are staying in the Homestead area, so thos lines will be very close.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds