Home Open Account Help 156 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > One Picture with a story

Date: 11/28/16 19:16
One Picture with a story
Author: GWHEN

Good evening everyone,
It's been probably over a year since I posted anything here. Well tonight I'm going to break that trend with something just a little bit different.

I'm going to tell you a story about this image that I have posted below. The picture was taken in Emmaus, PA along the former RDG Line back in winter 2014. Anyway it was a very cold, dreary Sunday morning. I had just gotten up with the knowledge that two, at the time, brand new Norfolk Southern SD70ACe engines had the possibility of leading out of Allentown on a west bound. Well sure enough the gamble payed off with them both leading 19G out of Allentown. After I had taken the pictures I started feeling light rain hitting my face. Now before I had gone out I also had prior knowledge of freezing rain being near by. Unfortunately for me it started way way sooner than expected. As soon as 19G had gone by, that rain was going from liquid to ice almost instantly as it hit the ground. At that very moment I was thinking to myself, "Well this could be interesting"!? Already by this point the ground has that really shiny glass look. I made a hard call and decided to try and get out of town before it went from bad to worst. Now I have about a 45 minute drive home (on a good day) from Emmaus that is mostly highway driving. So I thought to myself, "If I can get out of town and onto the highway it should be treated". After deciding what I was doing I jumped into my 06 Ford Explorer and gingerly got out on to the road. I realized very quickly that this was going to be a challenge. After getting my heart rate back to a somewhat normal level after having a series of close calls, I proceeded uneventfully through a couple more intersection. Finally the hardest part was getting up a hill with a slope to the right. This spot had claimed many drivers not aware of the conditions already before I had arrived. As I started up the hill I was hoping and praying that I wouldn't need to stop. The person I was following got nailed by someone that had slid from the other side of the road and the person behind me spun out and drifted over to the curb. I don't know how or why I made it up the hill but I did by the skin of my teeth.
The total drive time home was a little over 2 hours.

So in closing
I apologize for the long story but this was one of those images if I had not written a story about the harrowing experience that in sued it would just be shiny Norfolk Southern power on a gloomy day.
Thanks for taking a look!
Greg H

Date: 11/28/16 20:35
Re: One Picture with a story
Author: TRACKENGR

Cool story. thanks for sharing.  I spent a lot of railfan time in Emmaus, PA back in the late '80's and early '90's..  While the consists were different back then, the stories were very much the same.

Thanks again, Steve

Date: 11/29/16 04:20
Author: jim6300loco

Glad your back. Neat pic and it's raining here in the East Penn valley today. Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/16 06:00 by jim6300loco.

Date: 11/29/16 04:56
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

Date: 11/29/16 05:35
Author: refarkas

Great story. It makes the photo come alive.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds