Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Thomasville last night

Date: 11/28/16 22:24
Thomasville last night
Author: kingman

I clicked on the Thomasville web cam last night around 12:40 am. This train was just stopped blocking the crossing. Is this a normal procedure for a Thomasville freights? . At first I thought maybe there was an automobile involved but their wasn't any sign of a collison. While stopped at 1:08 am the Crescent #19 came through on the other track at track speed. so he wasn't slowed for anything abnormal. Just curious I watch this cam and its the first time I saw this. Ive seen it at Rochelle for the yard a little west of the diamonds but I dont think there is a yard here. Just really curious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/16 22:26 by kingman.

Date: 11/29/16 02:41
Re: Thomasville last night
Author: howeld

The end of double track is a bit over a mile beyond the crossing. I assume the stopped train was a SB(or WB not sure if they consider that railroad East west or north south). You will often see the end of trains stopped in view of the camera. this train was long enough to block the crossing. North Carloina is working on double tracking the the single track sections.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/29/16 05:01
Author: DirtyShirt

North Carolina completed the double track through the former single track segment south of Thomasville about a month ago.  The old control points at the ends of double track at Bowers and Lake were removed from service, and a new Lake control point was placed in service between old Bowers and old Lake.  The new Lake is a set of universal crossovers on concrete ties that are good for 60 mph diverging moves for passenger trains.

About two weeks ago, NC also completed an approximate 2.5 mile piece of double track south of Salisbury.  The old Reid control point at the south end of double track was removed from service, and double track was extended south to the new Sumner crossovers.  This is an incremental piece of double tracking in that area.  The double track is under construction to fill the current gap between Sumner and North Kannapolis.

And further north on the former Southern main in VA, they cut in double track between Green and the new crossovers at Elba near Gretna, VA last week.  Double track is still under construction between Elba and Smothers to fill in that gap in double track.   

Date: 11/29/16 07:17
Author: howeld

Good information. I was wondering if some of the double tracking work was finished.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/29/16 10:46
Author: kingman

So it was stopped for #19 just ouytof High Point heading south ? I noticed it took awhile after 18 went by before they started up again. They actullt started twice . The slack came out very noisily and it moved a bit stopped adn then started again . Was that a brake test at first?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds