Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Enola Low Grade Trail

Date: 11/30/16 18:34
Enola Low Grade Trail
Author: OCtrainguy

Two weeks ago, my wife and I got away for the weekend as we wanted to explore some of the former PRR Enola Low Grade Line, which has been turned into a rail trail.  We based our bicycling out of New Providence/Quarryville, PA which is a bit south and west of Strasburg.  We got a jump on the trail just after lunch so the lower sun (we were there a week after we turned the clocks back) cast shadows along the trail in numerous spots.  Both Saturday and Sunday provided bright blue skies so I had the camera with me.  The trail is very level and since it was freight only, long sweeping curves.  Onto the photos.

1.   At the parking area in New Providence looking east.  The trail is dissected at Route 222 as the bridge has been removed.  
2.  The PRR mile markers were saved, though the numbers seem copied on each side.
3.  A view of the trail from one of the gradual curve.

More to come. 

Date: 11/30/16 18:37
Re: Enola Low Grade Trail

Continuing the photos.

4.  The overpasses are pretty much all identical and still have the shielding from when the line was electrified
5.  The electric poles contain this warning from Amtrak and the trail rules ask everyone to refrain from climbing them
6.  Some of the trail showing some of the rock cut 

More to come..

Date: 11/30/16 18:45

Continuing the photos...

7.  Some of the rock showing itself
8.  In Martic Township, the smooth trail ends and it gets a bit rougher for bicycles with thinner wheels
9.  Overall the trail is very relaxing and the neighbors are very quiet, though this one wanted a closer look at us.

A few more left.. 

Date: 11/30/16 18:50

The last of the photos.

10, 11 and 12 are photos of the information signs at the parking area in Quarryville.  It is cool how they have the history of the line being built that includes photos.  

We enjoyed the trail and hope to explore the section east from Quarryville to the eastern end of the line at Atglen as well as the western end by the Susquehanna River next year.  I recommend this trail to anyone who enjoys walking/bicycling, especially on former rail lines.  Hope you enjoy the photos!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/16 18:55 by OCtrainguy.

Date: 11/30/16 20:02
Author: PlyWoody

Most reader may never have heard that a dead man was found at the base of one pole along with a very large wire cutter.  He climbed up to steal the power wire but he did not know it was very live with 22,000 volt 25 cycle power used to run the trains from Harrisburg to Philadelphia and on toward New York.  He learned the hard way.
Also, two young men climbed on the roof of box cars in Lancaster and got zapped from power that will jump 4 feet from the 22,000 volts delivery lines. Do not trespass!.

Date: 12/01/16 05:14
Author: Pattenburg

very neat photos!

Date: 12/01/16 06:26
Author: j-miller

Did you go across the bridge in Martic Forge at all? I seen that was done a long while ago and you can cross it now. 

John Miller
Conestoga, PA

Date: 12/01/16 06:43
Author: OscarManheim

Thanks for the pics and review! I'm not 100% familiar with that line - will that be the trail that will cross the upper bridge at Safe Harbor? I was there maybe five years ago, and it did not appear open yet, though signage indicated a trail. (Hopefully I don't have my routes mixed up!)
-Manny

Date: 12/01/16 08:03
Author: toledopatch

OscarManheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the pics and review! I'm not 100%
> familiar with that line - will that be the trail
> that will cross the upper bridge at Safe Harbor? I

This was the rail line that crossed the upper bridge at Safe Harbor.

I'll take your word for it that the section at Safe Harbor will become part of the trail.

When did Amtrak replace the transmission lines along the Low Grade? Those obviously aren't Pennsy-era towers, and along with the warning signs, the arrangement of four wires instead of three or six is a dead giveaway that this is associated with the railroad electrification. (I'll leave the question of why the PRR electrification was configured that way for a different time/place.)

Date: 12/01/16 11:51
Author: bluesboyst

Nice Pics.. but there should be tracks there!!!!!

Date: 12/01/16 13:01
Author: ns1000

Interesting stuff...!!  Thanks....

Date: 12/01/16 13:04

Yes the upper bridge at Safe Harbor will link the rest of the trail once it's gets new decking for the walkway and probably other things that might need attention. The township's were taking bids from contractors I think last year to do the work on the bridge but not sure when that is happening. 

The PRR power transmission towers were replaced probably a couple years ago, but the towers are still in place from Safe Harbor on westbound meeting up with the Port Road Branch.

John Miller
Conestoga, PA

Date: 12/01/16 16:40

j-miller Wrote:
> Did you go across the bridge in Martic Forge at
> all? I seen that was done a long while ago and you
> can cross it now. 

Not this trip.  We stopped at the eastern portion of Martic Twp.  Hoping to do that next year! 

Date: 12/02/16 11:03

One of my pics when you were still able to go onto the bridge at Safe Harbor.

John Miller
Conestoga, PA

Date: 12/02/16 13:03
Author: m1bprr

Safe Harbor a neat place indeed. Actually my first time there was in 1957 on a PRR fan trip out of Newark, NJ to Enola on MP54's, an ill fated trip to be sure as the catinary was snagged by a worn pantograph shoe, tore down a quarter mile of cat. we sat there for a long time before a Baldwin from Enola was dispatched to rescue us!
Ed K.

Date: 12/03/16 10:11

m1bprr Wrote:
> Safe Harbor a neat place indeed. Actually my first
> time there was in 1957 on a PRR fan trip out of
> Newark, NJ to Enola on MP54's, an ill fated trip
> to be sure as the catinary was snagged by a worn
> pantograph shoe, tore down a quarter mile of cat.
> we sat there for a long time before a Baldwin from
> Enola was dispatched to rescue us!
> Ed K.

Love seeing photos like those Ed. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1155 seconds