Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Double Stacks Over the Potomac

Date: 12/23/16 08:59
Double Stacks Over the Potomac
Author: GPutz

CSXT had an early Christmas present for railfan photographers in VA, WDC, MD and WV today.  The w/b Q135 crossed the Potomac River into Harpers Ferry, WV, at 11:06 hours this morning.  I counted 137 platforms, mostly double stacked, one empty; but that may be inaccurate.

Gerry

Date: 12/23/16 09:07
Re: Double Stacks Over the Potomac
Author: electromac

Excellent photos................

Date: 12/23/16 09:28
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Great photos and this was the same train to take the RF&P line - http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4186410

Date: 12/23/16 09:31
Author: ClubCar

electromac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent photos................
I agree also and Merry Christmas to you and your family Gerry.
John

Date: 12/23/16 09:36
Author: perklocal

Nice stuff ! ! ! !  2 Fresh 3100s and a nice block of company boxes up front. Even though they had to enlarge the westbound side of the tunnel portal a little bit, at least it doesn't look like all the others with it's ears cut out!

Date: 12/23/16 09:37
Author: ddavies

So that is where you are.  ;-)

Date: 12/23/16 09:39
Author: toledopatch

cornerfieldhobby Wrote:
> Great photos and this was the same train to take
> the RF&P line
> - http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?
> 2,4186410

Yes, same train.

Date: 12/23/16 09:43
Author: DJ-12

Nicely done. Also nice that CSX assigned two new and clean units for the first run.

Date: 12/23/16 13:11
Author: BaltoJoey

It went past the Hyndman cam at 3:24 PM.

Date: 12/23/16 14:53
Author: GPutz

ddavies Wrote:
So that is where you are.  ;-)
Yes.  Where are you?  Gerry

Date: 12/23/16 15:42
Author: jmbreitigan

Your third photo is a winner.
John

Date: 12/23/16 18:48
Author: JLinDE

First photo shows some chewing on the upper left side of the tunnel. Was it for the clearance project or just fallen rock? I'll always question CSX's chosen route to clear for double stacks, this RFP/BO route versus the ex-C&O mainline in WV, nearby NS's much worse alignment already cleared by their 'Heartland Project about 5 years ago. The C&O route would have been much easier to clear. Now, if CSX has in their treasure chest a way to clear Howard Street Tunnel in Balto. then this will make sense. And CSX has said they have found a way to clear their ancient Howard St tunnel  in the 'near future' but without saying when, environmental approvals, where the money will come from and who pays what. Once CSX justifies that, and the EPA approves, then will CSX will have the Penultimate double stack clearance route from the SE to the NE, if the 11 miles from Chester to Arsenal in Philly can be cleared. I'm 72, do not think I will see it in my lifetime.  

Date: 12/23/16 19:22

Don't forget that by clearing the B&O they are able to run stacks to/from Chambersburg (and have already been doing so for a couple years now). This area has become a huge distribution hub and CSX can now compete for this business stands. I'm not sure where The Baltimore terminal plans stand at present. One last benefit of the B&O is that they can serve the Pgh market via the new facility being built there...this was a market previously served by a dray fro Cleveland and thus the vast majority of boxes were ceded to NS.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/23/16 19:50
Author: highgreengraphics

Great job of recording the event, nice location I hope to get to on my next trip. === === = === JLH

Date: 12/23/16 20:52
Author: JLinDE

CSX did not need the Virginia Ave tunnel clearances in DC just to get hi-stack clearances to Chambersburg or a new terminal (which they sought) on the south side of Baltimore. But if the CSX planners saw a bigger market  to do the E-W route from Hampton Roads to the Midwest via  the RFP and ex-B&O so be it, and had enough foresight to predict they will find enuf $$$$ from somewhere to fund Howard St tunnel in Balto and the very few remaining obstacles near Philadelphia then they will have the most superior route from between the SE and NE. It is simple logic, and maps do not lie. CSX has the best route from New England to the deep Southeast..  

Date: 12/24/16 08:09

JLinDE Wrote:
> CSX did not need the Virginia Ave tunnel
> clearances in DC just to get hi-stack clearances
> to Chambersburg or a new terminal (which they
> sought) on the south side of Baltimore. But if the
> CSX planners saw a bigger market  to do the E-W
> route from Hampton Roads to the Midwest via  the
> RFP and ex-B&O so be it, and had enough foresight
> to predict they will find enuf $$$$
> from somewhere to fund Howard St tunnel in Balto
> and the very few remaining obstacles near
> Philadelphia then they will have the most
> superior route from between the SE and NE. It is
> simple logic, and maps do not lie. CSX has the
> best route from New England to the deep
> Southeast..  

I guess my point is that if they were going to clear the route from Greenwhich to Cherry Run for Chambersburg, it would make little sense to clear the entirety of the C&O through ohio, WV and VA..Cherry run gets you well over halfway to Hampton Roads as well, plus the Pittsburgh market to boot, regardless of what happens in Baltimore. (IIRC they are trying to find a site for a new terminal that doesnt involve Howard St but thats a fuzzy memory in my head). The C&O route has its advantages, but I strongly suspect that there was even more work to do on thag line as it was never even cleared for enclosed auto racks.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/16 09:11 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 12/24/16 09:45
Author: darkcloud

Yes, the C&O upgrades would have benefited 1 corridor:  Hampton Roads-Midwest.  Perhaps a slight improvement to Carolinas-Midwest.

The B&O upgrade benefits that plus Midwest-MD, Midwest-S.Central PA, Midwest-Pitt, Pitt/Clev-Southeast in a few years when the Rocky Mount intermodal hub (think N. Baltimore) opens, and Midwest-Philly once the Baltimore-Philly clearance issues are inevitably resolved.  Which then also opens up the entire NE-Southeast route.

So taken in aggregate the B&O seems an obvious choice.

Date: 12/24/16 10:48
Author: ChessieSystem

By the Cam @ Hyndman 12/23/2016 3:24pm EST

Date: 12/24/16 14:43
Author: Lackawanna484

Is the Howard Street tunnel in Bawlmer the last obstacle to reaching the NJ terminals?

That could be a huge plus for CSX new intermodal terminal in NC.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds