Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Intermodal trains on Altavista District?

Date: 01/06/17 18:55
NS Intermodal trains on Altavista District?
Author: twropr

One of the caveats of the agreement between NS, Amtrak and the Commonwealth of VA to permit the Boston-Lynchburg train to be extended to Roanoke was that approx. five intermodal trains would be rerouted from the ex-N&W Bedford District to the former
VGN Altavista District between Roanoke and Hurt.  I believe the improvements have been made to the tunnels and tracks to accommodate the intermodals - has the reroute onto the Altavista Dist. occurred yet?
​Also, why would these trains get onto the former SOU at Hurt (Altavista, VA) rather than continue on the ex-VGN to Abiline (I assume they're headed to Norfolk)?  For reasons that I don't understand, a consultant recommended that NS, as a conditon to accepting the Amtrak train to/from Roanoke, double track the former SOU between Green and Smothers (this segment is south of Hurt - the opposite direction or going to Norfolk)?
​Bonus question - has anyone seen the new Amtrak platform under construction in Roanoke, and where it is in relation to the old N&W station?
Thanks!
​Andy

Date: 01/06/17 20:21
Re: NS Intermodal trains on Altavista District?
Author: toledopatch

Well, two of the trains would be 217/218, which now operate Chicago-Roanoke-Charlotte via Lynchburg.

Date: 01/07/17 01:44
Re: NS Intermodal trains on Altavista District?
Author: nsrlink

For over a month, 217/218 have been using the new double stack clearances on the V-Line Hurt -Roanoke & avoiding Lynchburg.

I'll surmise that NS isn't interested in using the mostly single track (& slower speed of the) old Virginian until Amtrak is extended to Roanoke /service begins.

Toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, two of the trains would be 217/218, which
> now operate Chicago-Roanoke-Charlotte via
> Lynchburg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/17 01:45 by nsrlink.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds