Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Progress Rail PR24B

Date: 01/18/17 19:14
Progress Rail PR24B
Author: shooting4fun

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20170106-45858-11357 Wander how fast  the class 1 railroads will catch on this. Also note PR 24 was spotted in Colton CA on 1/14/17 on the UP

Date: 01/18/17 19:27
Re: Progress Rail PR24B
Author: zorz

It's interesting that PR/CAT seems to be moving away from EMD prime movers for sub-3,000hp units. The GP20ECOs didn't have a big production run outside of the CP units iirc.

Is it because they need to be Tier-4 compliant now? Do the 710ECO units no longer qualify to be built? Or are the CAT prime movers just more fuel efficient? Curious if anyone knows

The new dynamic brake/exhaust/radiator assemblies are also interesting. Looks like a single-core radiator.

shooting4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20
> 170106-45858-11357 Wander how fast  the class 1
> railroads will catch on this. Also note PR 24 was
> spotted in Colton CA on 1/14/17 on the UP

Date: 01/18/17 20:52
Author: DrLoco

I don't know, the SD33ECO's that CSX has are being built now at muncie. I saw 1712 sitting out front of the facility (can't really get photos while driving though).
the ECOPak rebuilds are TIer II units, The PR24 type is Tier 4 compliant with afterexhaust scrubbers.
both offer significant savings in fuel and lube oil (as they have 1/2 the cylinders and moving parts of a traditional prime mover).
the EMD/Progress website has a lot of this info if you look around on it...

Date: 01/19/17 03:05
Author: junctiontower

I have a couple of questions/points.

1) Is that 15% fuel saving comparison VS GP38's with or without auto start?

2) Excactly WHO is changing their lube oil at either one of these intervals listed?

3) CP aside, how much of a market has there actually been heavily remanufactured four axle units?

4) It's taken awhile, but NS seems to be pretty on board with 710 ECO repowering.  I would suspect that any major programs they do going forward with under 4000 HP units will probably have 12-710 or 8-710 power.

5) Non-locomotive diesels have had a very poor record up to this point, what makes this one different?  Remember those PR43Cs Progress did for NS?   Seen one lately?

6) With the introduction of the new Tier IV EMD 1010, the major railroads are now looking at a FOURTH different prime mover design that they have to have parts, tooling and tech training for.  How excited do you think they are to have a FIFTH design to look after?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 03:06 by junctiontower.

Date: 01/19/17 06:37
Author: NSTopHat

junctiontower Wrote:
> I have a couple of questions/points.
>
> 3) CP aside, how much of a market has there
> actually been heavily remanufactured four axle
> units?
>
> 5) Non-locomotive diesels have had a very poor
> record up to this point, what makes this one
> different?  Remember those PR43Cs Progress did
> for NS?   Seen one lately?

Q3 - NS has and continues to rebuild 4 axle EMD's.

Q6 - Yes I saw all of them a couple of weeks back, they are all stored in Chattanooga..... :)

Regards,
Russ

Date: 01/19/17 07:41

Q3.  To this point though, NS has recabbed GP59's and upgraded the 12cyl engine (to make them ECO certified so to speak) and made them slug mothers, and they have recabbed a bunch of GP38-2s, but they haven't really done a big four axle ground up rebuild program since the 5500 series rebuilds which are now long gone.  In fact, they have sold off some of their four axle rebuild fodder and bought SD40-2s  instead.  Point being, I don't think there is much of a market for factory rebuild four axle units for NS or any other class one.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if NS starts putting 12-710s in the GP60s, and putting some 8-710s in some GP38-2s.  They looked to be poised to do a SD33ECO program also. 

Date: 01/19/17 08:54
Author: bath_wildcat

NS is already doing the SD33ECO. Not a matter of poised but doing so already. Here is some info from Altoona Works about the program underway. 

Www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_sd33eco.html

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 01/19/17 09:21
Author: callum_out

The 3512C is nowhere Tier IV on it's own, that's the responsibility of the all that add-on equipment which
of course requires sufficient maintenance to meet the Tier IV standard. Which begs the question, once the
unit is certified, what are the downstream inspections and who performs them?

Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 12:07 by callum_out.

Date: 01/19/17 09:25

I know Altoona has an emissions test cell and has even done certifications for CSX, but as to who and how from the government actually follows up on that, I have no idea.

Date: 01/19/17 09:26

bath_wildcat Wrote:
> NS is already doing the SD33ECO. Not a matter of
> poised but doing so already. Here is some info
> from Altoona Works about the program underway. 
>
> Www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_sd33eco.html
>
>  
Yes, I knew that they are doing some, but I'm kind of waiting to see how big of a program it will become.  As all in on SD40-2s NS went, I'm curious to see if ALLL of them don't get done eventually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 09:30 by junctiontower.

Date: 01/19/17 09:50
Author: bath_wildcat

> Yes, I knew that they are doing some, but I'm kind
> of waiting to see how big of a program it will
> become.  As all in on SD40-2s NS went, I'm
> curious to see if ALLL of them don't get done
> eventually.

As am I as well. I'm curious how big the SD33ECO program will be for NS.  Its possible it could be like the SD60E program. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 01/19/17 10:20
Author: NSDash9

junctiontower Wrote:
> Q3.  To this point though, NS has recabbed GP59's and upgraded the 12cyl engine (to make them ECO
> certified so to speak) and made them slug mothers, and they have recabbed a bunch of GP38-2s, but
> they haven't really done a big four axle ground up rebuild program since the 5500 series rebuilds
> which are now long gone.

Sure they have.  There were the 5600 series GP38-2's, 5800 series GP38-3's, and most recently the 4700 series GP33ECO's.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 01/19/17 12:18

Yeah, but only the 5600's was a very big program, at least by NS standards.  :)

Date: 01/19/17 13:27
Author: mp109

RR's need to hire some of the Volkswagen engineers to figure out how to cheat on the emissions tests! LOL.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/19/17 19:03
Author: NSDTK

So is this new or rebuilt locomotive? 
"has been constructed with a new crashworthy underframe"

Date: 01/19/17 21:11
Author: zorz

Here are pics of the outshopped SD33ECOs. They look good :)

http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/6210.html

bath_wildcat Wrote:
> NS is already doing the SD33ECO. Not a matter of
> poised but doing so already. Here is some info
> from Altoona Works about the program underway. 
>
> Www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_sd33eco.html
>
>  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds