Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Snow in the South!

Date: 01/19/17 19:03
Snow in the South!
Author: NS2501

Forgive me for being a little late to the party, but as many of us East Coasters know, much of the Right Coast was blanketed with several inches of snow just a few days into the new year. Seeing as how we don't get much snow down here, how could I not take advantage of an opportunity to get some shots out in the white stuff! Here's a bit of what I caught over the course of the weekend of January 6th. Hope y'all enjoy!

1.) After chasing the N&W 611 ferry move from the VMT to the NCTM, I happened to hear on the scanner that NS 798, 50 carloads of coal bound for Chapel Hill, was ready to head into Linwood. I wouldn't have even considered going for this train had I not heard one small detail on the track authority; "NS 2-5-1-0 east, e-a-s-t." Sweet! An old standard cab! Seeing as how these units are quickly fading into history, I almost never pass up an opportunity to shoot one. Just as the snow begins to come down in Salisbury, NS 798 takes a diverging route signal at CP "Rowan" and onto the Charlotte District mainline.
2.) On Saturday the 7th, I got word from a few friends that NS 741 was ready to leave Plant Marshall with NS 8100 in the lead. Seeing as how I have (well...had...) yet to shoot a heritage unit in the snow, how could I pass this up? Not sure how the roads would be after areas west of I-77 received up to 8-9 inches of snow, I decided to head to Conover since the drive is a straight shot up Hwy 16 from my home. After getting the or track authority out of the plant, 741 breaks the serenity of the Winter Wonderland as they roll through Conover, NC.
3.) After getting off work early on the 8th, I figured to take a trip up to Spencer to take advantage of the snow's refusal to budge following several days of sub-freezing temps. Just after leaving Linwood yard, NS 135 begins their trek with a climb up Yadkin Hill with a nice (relatively) clean EMD leading the charge.

More to come...

Date: 01/19/17 19:07
Re: Snow in the South!

4.) Daily local P61 begins the day's work by grinding up Yadkin Hill with a trio of veteran GM/EMD products, a typical sight on this train.
5.) Perhaps one of my favorite shots, Amtrak 75 kicks up snow dust as they highball toward their next station stop in Salisbury. It took me and my camera falling in the snow to get this shot, so I hope the crew got a good laugh out of it!

Thanks for viewing folks. As always, I hope you enjoy!

Date: 01/19/17 19:11
Author: robj

Great series, crisp and nice discussion!

Bob Jordan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 19:12 by robj.

Date: 01/19/17 19:26
Author: NS7214

Great shots there, dude! 
-DJS

Date: 01/20/17 07:13
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Great shots ! Number three and five should be considered for IOTD...again great shots. Clear and crisp.

Date: 01/20/17 08:47
Author: ns2557

Like the shot of 8100 the best. The rest are just as good. Ben

Date: 01/20/17 09:18
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding bunch.
JB

Date: 01/20/17 12:21
Author: refarkas

Great snow photos. I like the image of Amtrak 75 best.
Bob

Date: 01/20/17 12:50

Thanks for the kind words y'all, and thanks for viewing!

Date: 01/20/17 13:58
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds