Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > G&W agrees to acquire parent Company of Heart of Georgia

Date: 02/08/17 07:35
G&W agrees to acquire parent Company of Heart of Georgia
Author: calsubd

Genesee & Wyoming Agrees To Acquire Parent Company of Heart of Georgia Railroad
07:43 AM EST, 02/08/2017 (MT Newswires) -- Genesee & Wyoming(GWR) , a freight railroad operator, said it has agreed to acquire Atlantic Western Transportation, the parent company of Heart of Georgia Railroad. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.The acquisition is expected to be completed in Q2....Heart of Georgia operates across the state of Georgia on 219 miles of track leased from the Georgia Department of Transportation.The railroad transports approximately 10,000 annual carloads of agricultural products, feed, fertilizer, and lumber and forest products. It will be managed as one of G&W's coastal region railroads, led by senior vice president Andy Chunko.

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 02/08/17 08:29
Re: G&W agrees to acquire parent Company of Heart of Georgia
Author: Lackawanna484

Map of the service area

Hog-Track-Map

Date: 02/08/17 14:57
Author: callum_out

Hello STB, we'd like trackage rights to tie all our properties together! G&W is the lurking shark, their yearly
carload numbers are staggering!

Out

Date: 02/08/17 18:18
Author: toledopatch

Another one bites the dust.

Date: 02/09/17 03:02
Author: SALGUY

I live in Ohio and if the G&W could get a hold of the Wheeling it would be game on in this part of the country.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/09/17 06:29
Author: ctillnc

If I overlap a map from the G&W website with the HOG, it looks like this (HOG in purple). Note that the trackage at the Alabama end of the HOG has been out of service for a long, long time. Similarly there's an out-of-service gap between Columbus and Americus.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/17 06:34 by ctillnc.

Date: 02/09/17 06:53

That's a very useful map, thanks for sharing it.

I wonder if the NS and CSX people are doing their own calculations about what comes off each of those lines, and how can they get a piece of it?

Date: 02/09/17 09:46
Author: DocJohn

The Georgia DOT railroad map is available at http://www.dot.ga.gov/IS/Rail.  G&W also owns the Georgia Central (originally Macon, Dublin & Savannah).

JL

Date: 02/09/17 09:54

G&W's GC includes both the ex-MD&S and the segment of the ex-SAL between Vidalia and Savannah. Effectively the HOG transaction will reunite the ex-SAL from Savannah as far west as Mahrt, Alabama where there is a massive Meadwestvaco paper plant. However, the plant has been served exclusively by G&W's Columbus & Chattahoochee (CCH) since NS spun out that branch. Will be interesting to see whether G&W now reactivates the Mahrt-Americus line as a way of getting longer haul on traffic in and out of the plant. For whatever reason, G&W has not reactivated Columbus-Americus over the ex-CofG.

CSX abandoned the ex-SAL west of Mahrt to Montgomery, and I can't see that line ever being rebuilt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/17 09:56 by ctillnc.

Date: 02/09/17 10:04

The big traffic potential is Port of Savannah.  No really good way of moving containers in/out of Savannah to/from the west.  NS Macon - Savannah line is still mostly dark territory and a circuitous route.

JL

Date: 02/09/17 10:27

For better or worse, the all-CSX answer is to run south to Waycross or Baldwin then either Birmingham or Mobile, respectively. G&W's GC to Cordele is one alternative.

Date: 02/09/17 12:52

With three major ports expanding in FL, where is the extra CSXT capacity?

John

Date: 02/09/17 13:20

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With three major ports expanding in FL, where is
> the extra CSXT capacity?
>
> John

Some of it may be on FEC.  I often see containers from CSXT on FEC 202 and other trains.  I don't have a good sense on how much traffic comes down the  CSX side into Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Date: 02/10/17 16:25
Author: easternrailvideos

They buy many rr's. Closest to me is Buffalo & Pittsburgh and Wellsboro & Corning in PA.
I've heard this a few times about the G&W, The Short Line Killers...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/17 16:26 by easternrailvideos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds