Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > food for thought

Date: 02/21/17 07:56
food for thought
Author: deeck

If Sir Harrison does or doesn't come  and will CSX "planned consolidation"
please note that CSX is planning on moving all of it's dispatching functions except for INDY south of the Virginia boarder
Atlanta / Florence and Jacksonville
Also note the Mr. Harrison's "CP" connects with CSX at ONLY a few Key Places Chicago Buffalo and I believe Montreal
CP has trackage rights into Philly and I believe some rights into the NYC area
What would stop CSX from getting split up say the CP from Chicago to NYC and down the East Coast to Philly
and maybe the "National Gateway" route too to at least Baltimore (Even if just trackage rights)
and say the UP getting everything else to the South in the"golden triangle" of core routes that was published earlier.
this would sent the stage for a BNSF / NS union
CN already has East/West through Canada and North/South to the gulf through it's IC why not get trackage rigths to
get to Florida and connect with the FEC for an East Coast Port as a deal from a BNSF/NS merger or the CP/CSX/UP

This would give you 4 coast to coast systems with very competitive routes / numerous potential Short line Spin-offs which could mean
more business and employment........I something this big where to happen it would have to be with in the next 4 years while there is
a business friendly administration

Again just food for thought

Date: 02/21/17 08:30
Re: food for thought
Author: joemvcnj

Sound like the same concept has breaking up Conrail between CSX and NS.

Date: 02/21/17 08:46
Author: junctiontower

Once you get down to four systems, I think you would soon have just two.  As I said when Hunter and friends were chasing NS, he keeps trying to open doors that I think most people connected to the railroad industry want to remain nailed shut, and for good reason I might add.  

Date: 02/21/17 09:30
Author: Lackawanna484

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once you get down to four systems, I think you
> would soon have just two.  As I said
> when Hunter and friends were chasing NS, he keeps
> trying to open doors that I think most people
> connected to the railroad industry want to remain
> nailed shut, and for good reason I might add.  

The current bias since the 1980s has been to allow mergers in most industries. Even if a fool can tell it concentrates risk, reduces real competition, That's been the complaint iby grain, chemicals, power generation, etc against the railroads forever.

The problem is that many powerful people in the railroad industry  like things the way they are. And, can get congress / regulatory etc protection.

Date: 02/21/17 10:18
Author: CPR_4000

deeck Wrote:
> CP has trackage rights into Philly and I believe
> some rights into the NYC area

Not sure if they formally gave up their trackage rights, but CP no longer runs to Philly or New York City.

Date: 02/21/17 10:29
Author: bioyans

CPR_4000 Wrote:

> Not sure if they formally gave up their trackage
> rights, but CP no longer runs to Philly or New
> York City.

Those trackage rights belonged to D&H, and I believe were discontinued as part of the NS deal to buy the lower end of said property from CP.  CP had discontinued the service prior to the deal with NS.

Date: 02/21/17 10:38
Author: ns1000

While I agree with the "friendly business administration", I still think there is going to be A LOT of opposition to anymore mergers...

Date: 02/21/17 11:20
Author: ctillnc

Maybe. In the U.S. there are only two major mobile telephone operators (Sprint doesn't really count anymore), two major hotel companies (Marriott and Hilton) for all practical purposes, two mobile phone providers (Apple and Samsung), etc. The U.S. airline industry is stuck at four big ones, and so are the U.S. railroads. Maybe it stays that way forever, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Date: 02/21/17 23:20
Author: krm152

deeck Wrote:
>  
>
> Again just food for thought

You have been eating way too much hemp.
ALLEN

Date: 02/22/17 15:55

No Allen just 29 years in the rr biz and this will be my third CSX downsizing

Posted from Android

Date: 02/23/17 11:17

No Allen just 29 years in the rr biz and this will be my third CSX downsizing

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds