Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Some from the last week

Date: 02/22/17 14:30
Some from the last week
Author: ns2557

My travels the last week have led me from Kentucky up to Wisconsin and back south to Georgia. Lot of miles. Did manage to get a few along the way  So here ya go.

Feb 19 2017 found me headed north out of the Louisville Ky area for Wisconsin. Over teh years have seen and even managed a few shots here and there of the Louisville & Indiana RR at their Jeffersonville In shops and yard, located off of I65 and the Eastern Blvd/Ave exit. One can stop on the shoulder and get some pretty decnt shots. This being a Sunday, was even better. Hardly any traffic to deal with. The LIRC did not let me down. There were about 8 "active" units here this morning and I managed shots of all but 2.  Shot 1 shows the new image that the LIRC is now sporting. Pennsy inspired to say the least. Here are GP38-2 2002 and 2003 sitting outside and under the sand tower here.  Really like the PRR Style. Looks sharp.

Shot 2.  Very much later the same day, I stopped for my break at Janesville Wi. Did manage some shots of the WSOR here but this one of UP C44-9W 9620, sitting pretty much alone at the south/east end of the UP Yard here in Janesville caught my eye. A few years back I shot a string of stored UP units here and haven't seen any stored since. Unless ya count this one.

Shot 3  Today, My journey finds me in Cartersville Ga currently. On the way south up north in Tenn I recalled that the SQVR or Sequatchie Valley had a unit at the Jasper Tn Industrial Park that could be seen off of I24 Exit 155. Last apss thru a week ago had this unit on the west side of the "I". Today, it was here. So, what does a fan do?  Turn around and try a shot or 2 of course. Got this one and a decent roster shot after turning around and heading back here to do so.  Ex UPY 1205 now SQVR 1205, is seen tied down for the day  Does look good in it's UP inspired paint.  

Have one more interesting shot to go with this.....

TFL.  Ben

Date: 02/22/17 14:36
Re: Some from the last week

Well, actually 2 more shots.

On a Ballast Train in the LIRC yard on the 19th in Jeffersonville In, I saw this old timer. CSX 964131. Shows a Bld Date of 8-57, which makes it a few years older than me. Bet it feels like I do.  Is this an ex ACL or SAL type car?  It shows SCL lettering on the car, but I think it looks like an old ACL Car, having jogged some of the gray matter which may be wrong in regards to the heritage of this one.

And the other shot. Over the years going by the LIRC Shops here in Jeffersonville In, I have seen this unit each time. Pretty much in the same spot. What's the story with this one?  Gotta like the old SP style Black Widow Paint that it wears, but have no idea what is going on with it.  Any one know?  It is lettered for the LIRC.

Thanks again all for checking out the shots. Ya'll take care.   Ben

Date: 02/22/17 15:32
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice bunch Ben, I too really like the L & I paint scheme, great catch on the switcher. Didn't realize how large the WSOR yard was. As for the cannabalized GP, don't know it's origina BUT it's last place of service (that I know off) was on the Pacific Harbor Lines in the port of Los Angeles and Long Beach. It arrived PHL black and silver and red with PHL forces adding the orange, if I remember correctily? Here is is last time I photographed it interchanging freight with BNSF at Watson yard in Wilmington, CA. In it's beginnng years PHL had units running around in at least a half dozen schemes including this one, SP, OC, CNW, TCW, IC, CR, Harbor Belt Line (the unit behind in above shot) as well as a couple of lease schemes.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/17 15:34 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 02/22/17 15:43

Thanks JB. The 103 sure doesn't look to good in the shot I managed. Your's shows it much much better.  The place it is at is a RailCar Repair Facility known as the Andersons. It is in the LIRC Yard here. There are 4 LIRC units off to the right in shot. All in the old Green and Yellow Pnt that LIRC used, and all but 1, GP11's.  The odd one is an ex PC/NH SW1200. Those units are 1801/1802/1803 and the SW, 9373.  And the shot of the UP 9620 is at the UP Yard here in J'Ville. The WSOR is off to the west or left a few miles more. They have a Roundhouse/Turntable plus at least 6 tracks in a small yard here.   Take care.  Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/17 15:45 by ns2557.

Date: 02/22/17 18:43
Author: 2720

The 103 (Black Widow) looks like it is being parted out, no radiator or
dynamic brake fans, looks like the air compressor has been removed!

Or being rebuilt!

Mike

Date: 02/23/17 05:20
Author: Gonut1

Thanks Ben
Gonut

Date: 02/26/17 01:17
Author: NS7214

Nice catch on the sqvr, that's a somewhat normal spot for them and even more rare they're keeping a locomotive running in good condition inside and out.
-djs

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0803 seconds