Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > FEC: visit to Villa Rica, Lake Worth, etc

Date: 02/23/17 16:23
FEC: visit to Villa Rica, Lake Worth, etc
Author: Lackawanna484

I had  business in southern Palm Beach County this morning, and took a ride over to the FEC.  In preparation for Brightline, there's been a ton of work done in the area.  Herzog was unloading ballast stone in Delray Beach .  Two main tracks, new hooded Darth Vader like signals.  GP40 427 in the earlier FEC colors was doing the honors.  Signal crews testing new crossing protections at Yamato Road, Linton, etc.  Lots of activity

Atlantic Avenue in Delray is amazing. Several people have mentioned the potential mess when trains roar through at 100 mph.  Traffic backed up onto crossings in normal lunch time. People crossing the tracks between the streets.  Add in a Saturday night bar scene and that will be a mess.

New signals up on the new track at Lake Worth.  Nothing around for miles, it was lighted green for a northbound. New ballast on both tracks.

Farther north, the replacement tie project is coming along in Hobe Sound.  Looks like the work is approaching Bridge Road, working south. Old concrete ties are stacked on the "land" side, while new concrete ties are on the ocean side. Equipment is tied up by the lumber yard.

===============

Saw the NS Geometry train later in the day at Stuart. Ii was having a late lunch / early happy hour at Pelican Cafe. Bridge went down, and  a FEC SD40-2 in UP colors, an NS SD40-2, and the two geometry cars rolled south at about 20 mph.  Extremely clean looking train. That was about 1.30pm.

I'm guessing more of the new GE 800s are up in Erie for conversion to LNG.  I've seen a lot of the SD40-2 and GP40-2 units on road trains in recent weeks. One, last week, had 3 GP40-2 units on a long train.

Date: 02/23/17 18:12
Re: FEC: visit to Villa Rica, Lake Worth, etc
Author: howeld

Photos?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/23/17 18:54
Author: darkcloud

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/17 15:11 by darkcloud.

Date: 02/24/17 04:27
Author: Lackawanna484

I didn't see four quad gates where I was. Lots of two quads and a few concrete dividers.

That surprised me.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/24/17 08:31
Author: darkcloud

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/17 15:11 by darkcloud.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds