Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Louisville KY Free Slide Show BNSF UP in SoCal 2001-2007

Date: 02/24/17 15:21
Louisville KY Free Slide Show BNSF UP in SoCal 2001-2007
Author: revrobin

Please accept this invitation to attend the regular monthly meeting of the Louisville Chapter of the NRHS, Friday, March 3, 2017. This event is free and open to everyone. Event starts at 7 PM with our business meeting, followed by refreshments and opportunity for socializing. Afterwards we will be viewing a slide show covering the Desert Mainlines of the UP: San Timoteo Canyon, CA to Lordsburg, NM + Victorville, CA to the summit of Cima Hill, CA as well as exploring the BNSF from Crozier Canyon, AZ to Barstow, CA. All photos were shot by Barry Christensen and Robin White during 2001-2007. This presentation focuses on freight railroading and includes a broad ranges of trains, locomotives, cars, and some scenery shots to set the stage. Please note that slide selections were not edited to exclude less than sunny days or grafitti. From the last of the Tunnel Motors in UP paint to more modern UP power, from solid red and silver consists to rainbow combinations of leasors and various BNSF power, plus a few regional railroad vignettes along the way. I had 4WD back in those days so Afton Canyon is included as is a walk-in to Crozier Canyon. This is not a Summerail style music + slide show presentation but a slide show with narration from the photographers with plenty of opportunities for conversation with the audience as we view the show. Programs are usually complete by 8:30-9 PM. We meet in the First Floor Ballroom of the Treyton Oaks Tower at 201. W. Oak St., Louisville, KY 40203 (parking lot access is on the north side available from either 2d St. (one way northbound) or 3rd St. (one way southbound.)

I have included three of my photographs from the presentation to give you a feel for what to expect. (Rest assured the presentation is fairly balanced - BNSF gets as much attention as UP, I am just partial to UP; Barry to BNSF, and since I am putting this announcement together, I am sharing UP...) First is a pair of bedraggled UP SD60Ms pushing a westbound manifest up the east slope of Beaumont Hill near Cabezon, CA in late January 2004. Second is one of the daily rock trains heading westbound down the west slope of Beaumont Hill through San Timoteo Canyon, also in January 2004. And the third is an eastbound UP stacktrain rolling past the platforms of the Palm Springs Amtrak station during 2005.

Look forward to meeting some of you next Friday,
Robin White

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds