Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS location help needed

Date: 03/17/17 20:26
NS location help needed
Author: santafe199

Where the sam-hello did I shoot this train? I think I was en route in either northern Indiana or southern Michigan. In a rare occurrence I ignored my own preaching and failed to record any location info at all. Probably thought I could remember (heh heh heh). I will be very grateful to anyone who can respond to this SOS…

1. & 2. NS 6956 leads a manifest train, presumably west or south a few minutes before 10:00 AM.
Location unknown…*

*location later found to be South Bend, IN.

Thanks for any forthcoming help!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/17 09:40 by santafe199.

Date: 03/18/17 07:11
Re: NS location help needed
Author: intermodalres

I am looked at every picture I have between Elkhart and Toledo and cannot identify the location.  My gut says Bryan or Archbold, but I can't prove it.

Date: 03/18/17 07:50
Author: WLE2679

I tried zooming in on that red truck to see the license plate or what team the football helmet was, but it was too blury.     For sure looks like it could be the ex NYC Chicago Line.   Looks like at least another main track was there at one point, if not two maybe. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/17 07:53 by WLE2679.

Date: 03/18/17 09:33
Author: santafe199

WLE2679 Wrote: > ...  I tried zooming in ... what team the football helmet was ...
Your mention of a football helmet jarred my memory, especially when I took into consideration this was my "first train" of the day. I remember coming into South Bend early in the morning, being disappointed at the meager Amtrak facility (I didn't even shoot any pics). I decided to explore downtown and spotted a westbound headlight right off the bat. I had to wiggle off of this crossing to get a series of shots, zooming back on my 140mm telephoto. One of the buildings on the north side was a 100% match when I looked around S.B. in Google Maps. This is the Olive St crossing looking roughly east at a train rolling WNW toward the "Amtrak Station". So... thanks for mentioning the football helmet idea!

Lance/199

Date: 03/18/17 10:46
Author: WLE2679

No problem!    I heard South Bend is a little sketchy around the tracks, but only been there once. 

Date: 03/18/17 14:06
Author: intermodalres

I didn't pick up the platform for the Amtrak station there.  That would be the old Bendix plant beyond the train.  Glad that you got it figured out.

Date: 03/18/17 17:22
Author: justalurker66

WLE2679 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No problem!    I heard South Bend is a little sketchy
> around the tracks, but only been there once.

Not too bad. There are a couple of areas of urban decay that could pass for Gary but I would not consider that section of track to be in a sketchy area. NS and CN will not want you on their tracks or property - but that is not unique to South Bend.

As for the station, that is a good picture of it - with a train blocking the view of the station completely.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds