Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Freight local on the NEC at Bristol, PA

Date: 03/26/17 16:07
Freight local on the NEC at Bristol, PA
Author: OCtrainguy

Last Monday, myself and I friend of mine got trackside to photo the circus train as it rolled past Volley Forge.  After catching a local outside of Abrams Yard (King of Prussia, PA), I wanted to see if there was still a freight local working along the NEC in Bristol, PA.  There was a lumber yard on the west side of the tracks that is a customer and a few pieces of track that cars could be switched out along with an industrial park served by someone whose name escapes me.  It had been a spot I had visited when my kids were a bit younger.  For me, it was the NEC action of Amtrak and SEPTA along with a Conrail Shared Assets local out of Frankford Junction.  For the kids, they got to see the trains and then walk along the trail, play a video game and with a r/c car.

So it's been a number of years since I had last been there.  Well, I was surprised, to an extent, to see a fence erected.  I can't say I was totally surprised though.  This is on the east side of the NEC off of Green Lane.  Here are some photos.

1.  When we reached the spot in Bristol, the freight local was sitting
2.  A tight squeeze, but I was able to get my camera through the fence for a photo
3.  Another look at the fence and some of the coil cars present

A few more photos to follow..

Date: 03/26/17 16:14
Re: Freight local on the NEC at Bristol, PA
Author: OCtrainguy

Continuing the photos.

4.  Indiana Harbour Belt coil car. 
5.  A view of the freight local and the walking trail
6.  A slide scan from the same location in October 2004.  

The freight local may be based out of Morrisville Yard now as opposed to Frankford Junction.  The walking trail is a nice job by the town.  So techinically you can still watch trains go by here, just can't photo them the same way.  Anyone happen to know when the fence was put in?  Hope you enjoy the photos! 

Date: 03/26/17 16:37
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a nice fence, and will stop casual trespassers.  Up around New Brunswick NJ, the chain link fence gets cut within days of being repaired.

In NJ, at least, I'd be surprised if 50% of the NEC is fenced on at least one side.

Date: 03/31/17 07:53
Author: bigjim4life

Two things.  One, the industrial park there is served by the East Penn Railroad.

Two, there's a very nice playgrouind just down the walking trail that railfan parents will love - they can play with the kids, and see Amtrak/SEPTA flying by as well.  :)

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds