Home Open Account Help 152 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17


Date: 04/05/17 18:31
Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Mid afternoon I turned on the Berea Railcam and saw a slow moving and then stopping and then proceeding CSX Q384. He had 205 freight cars with 846 Axles. So I drove up to Mentor Ohio this evening to see him go by. This makes officially the longest freight train I have seen in person. Also note the CSX YN3b GP15-1 #1546 trailing 3rd.

 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!




Date: 04/05/17 18:34
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: cornerfieldhobby

.








Date: 04/05/17 18:36
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: cornerfieldhobby

..








Date: 04/05/17 20:11
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: JLinDE

THANKs for shooting the whole train. I have a way of calculating train length counting what i call  a 'long' car...(two car lengths)...and cars around 70ft long (as one half car). due mostly to tank cars, it comes up a bit short of actual train length when I am able to compare to detector lengths or other info I might be able to get. Sans locos this train was 274c/l, or 12878ft. But in reality it was probably 13000 to 13250 ft, or 2.5 miles long. CSX has been doing this on some routes for a long time. EHH loves his long trains, but this one is longer than most run on IC,CN, or CP. And I've seen them here 2.5 miles (one train length away by road )on a single track line that hardly even had trains over 9000 ft before 2 years ago. Good video, I'll look at any more you present, and thanks.



Date: 04/05/17 20:28
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: cornerfieldhobby

JLinDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THANKs for shooting the whole train. I have a way
> of calculating train length counting what i call 
> a 'long' car...(two car lengths)...and cars
> around 70ft long (as one half car). due mostly to
> tank cars, it comes up a bit short of actual train
> length when I am able to compare to detector
> lengths or other info I might be able to get. Sans
> locos this train was 274c/l, or 12878ft. But in
> reality it was probably 13000 to 13250 ft, or 2.5
> miles long. CSX has been doing this on some routes
> for a long time. EHH loves his long trains, but
> this one is longer than most run on IC,CN, or CP.
> And I've seen them here 2.5 miles (one train
> length away by road )on a single track line that
> hardly even had trains over 9000 ft before 2 years
> ago. Good video, I'll look at any more you
> present, and thanks.

Glad, you liked it. Yes, the CSX trains keep getting longer and longer. Recently I seen an NS train that had 182 cars. And yes I'll be sure to be adding more videos of the trains I see. Thanks for liking my photos and video.



Date: 04/05/17 21:38
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: SantaFeRuss

Man, what a monster freight! Thank you for showing the entire train. More and monsters are on the move these days.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android



Date: 04/06/17 07:30
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: cornerfieldhobby

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man, what a monster freight! Thank you for showing
> the entire train. More and monsters are on the
> move these days.
>
> SantaFeRuss
>
> Posted from Android

Yea, CSX and NS trains keep getting longer as the month's are going by.



Date: 04/06/17 13:34
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: kinnearyard

The reason being their both running fewer trains, 



Date: 04/06/17 13:38
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: zorz

Are they using DPUs at all? Physics begins to cause problems when you get such a long load. Without some way to distribute pressure they will likely run into the same problems as the CN land barges had (iirc).

cornerfieldhobby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JLinDE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > THANKs for shooting the whole train. I have a
> way
> > of calculating train length counting what i
> call 
> > a 'long' car...(two car lengths)...and cars
> > around 70ft long (as one half car). due mostly
> to
> > tank cars, it comes up a bit short of actual
> train
> > length when I am able to compare to detector
> > lengths or other info I might be able to get.
> Sans
> > locos this train was 274c/l, or 12878ft. But in
> > reality it was probably 13000 to 13250 ft, or
> 2.5
> > miles long. CSX has been doing this on some
> routes
> > for a long time. EHH loves his long trains, but
> > this one is longer than most run on IC,CN, or
> CP.
> > And I've seen them here 2.5 miles (one train
> > length away by road )on a single track line
> that
> > hardly even had trains over 9000 ft before 2
> years
> > ago. Good video, I'll look at any more you
> > present, and thanks.
>
> Glad, you liked it. Yes, the CSX trains keep
> getting longer and longer. Recently I seen an NS
> train that had 182 cars. And yes I'll be sure to
> be adding more videos of the trains I see. Thanks
> for liking my photos and video.



Date: 04/06/17 15:07
Re: Video CSX Q384 With 205 Cars / 846 Axles Mentor Ohio 4/5/17
Author: cornerfieldhobby

zorz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are they using DPUs at all? Physics begins to
> cause problems when you get such a long load.
> Without some way to distribute pressure they will
> likely run into the same problems as the CN land
> barges had (iirc).

No, I have not seen any DPU's on the freight out by me that are that long. Coal trains on the Cleveland Line, yes.
 



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1913 seconds