Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > I finally jumped on the Chessie bandwagon

Date: 04/09/17 22:02
I finally jumped on the Chessie bandwagon
Author: msullivan1993

After much hype following the candid shots (and subsequent shots released from public view) of CSX B30-7 5554's fresh paint job back into it's original Chessie System scheme and numbers, I let the news die down and took a bit of time to finally get my shots of the locomotive sitting outside of the Huntington Locomotive Shops waiting to be picked up.  For those that do not know, C&O 8272 is being donated to the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society's museum for display, and was generously painted by the men and women of HLS.  Coupled to 8272 is an ex-C&O sibling, SD50-2 #8628 which also once bore the Chessie System scheme when it was built as an SD50, before being rebuilt by CSX and derated to 3,000 horsepower after numerous issues with the original SD50's.  I would say that C&O 8272 will be heading out before too long, probably waiting on the official approval to send it west to Russell, KY and be thrown on a freight train heading towards North East, Pennsylvania, but the weather was nice and some bright LED shops lights made this shot a bit hard to pass up, finally.

#1: Coupled with CSX 8628 alone, both units shut down for the night.  I presume they will be ready to leave before too long, as 8272 was in a line of locomotives at the shops for the past few weeks, and is now separated from the rest.

#2: The glam shot of C&O 8272 alone, made easy by the overhead lights and a little assistance from the toolbox in the bed of my truck.

Date: 04/09/17 22:05
Re: I finally jumped on the Chessie bandwagon
Author: dan

pretty nice

Date: 04/09/17 23:41
Author: Cumberland

Furthermore, it looks so nice (not a single scratch), that it could be a prototype staged in an awfully good model railroader!

Great photography.

Matthew

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pretty nice

Date: 04/10/17 01:28
Author: NS7214

mmm, now that's sex'ay!  this thing sure brings me to childhoodm only they weren't quite this neat looking still, but I remember them on aar trucks 
-djs 

Date: 04/10/17 04:52
Author: DJ-12

Great, classic scheme and great work by CSX and the folks at the shop. I have long held that CSX should have stuck with the Chessie "C" as part of its corporate branding, including using it as part of the logo on its engines. They missed an opportunity to get the same kind of identity as NS has gotten out of the "thoroughbred".

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/10/17 05:27
Author: ns1000

NIIIIICE...!!

Date: 04/10/17 11:09
Author: kbmiflyer

As someone who grew up along the B&O in Southern Indiana in the 70's, this certainly bring's back memories.  Looks great.

Date: 04/10/17 16:18
Author: steamfan

Too bad CSX can't muster a few paint jobs.  Lots of fine schemes that could be "resurrected"...  Of course, it does nothing for the bottom line. 

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 04/10/17 20:56
Author: MC6853

It puts it into perspective how pathetic the "sticker units" are... Either do full heritage units or don't bother...

I'll be eagerly awaiting this one to head to North East...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds