Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Owego, NY

Date: 04/23/17 19:26
Owego, NY
Author: NS4271

1. Looking east.
2. Westbound with EMD leader at 1148 AM.
3. Westbound with GE leader at 1201 PM.
4/23/17

Date: 04/23/17 19:29
Re: Owego, NY
Author: ns2557

Great Shots Bruce. Did ya get over and shoot the Owego and Hartford there also? Ben

Date: 04/23/17 19:36

I have a few shots of their power tied down and not running.
Will post them later.

Date: 04/23/17 19:59
Author: Out_Of_Service

NS4271 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a few shots of their power tied down and
> not running.
> Will post them later.

Owego is where the LV ended/started their trackage rights into / out of Binghamton ... a switch here veered off the wb main and paralleled the Tier tracks to Sayre where LV ducked under the E-L trackage and traversed the almost 2 miles to their Sayre yard and engine facility ...

Date: 04/23/17 20:04

Looking west at Owego, NY. 4/23/17

Date: 04/23/17 20:43
Author: ddavies

They also had a line that ran north to Cortland, through Newark Valley. My father was the Owego LV station agent about 1950.

Date: 04/24/17 03:27
Author: JPB

The NS train shown in photo #2 is the daily westbound 37T Allentown-Buffalo manifest that also carries international containers from Port of NJ to CP interchange at Buffalo. 37T also handles lots of domestic double stacks including containers originating at Taylor Yard at Scranton as well as empty JBHU containers being re-positioned west. The NS train in photo three is the Ayer/Mechanicville 23K container train.

The Lehigh Valley line in Owego was its Auburn Branch that at one time ran from Sayre up to a coal dock at Fair Haven on Lake Ontario. There were also connections to the ex-Elmira, Cortland, and Northern track at the five sided station at Freeville, NY that served Cortland/Canastota to the east and to west, the Cornell U steam plant at East Ithaca, high above Cayuga's waters. Daily D&H Binghamton-Sayre turns utilized Erie/EL trackage rights to the LV connection at Owego as well as LV's own Sayre-Binghamton turns.
lastly, the ex-Erie passenger depot in the photos was the highly rated Grand Central but it's apparently under new ownership as Bill's Restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/GrandCentralOwego/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/17 03:33 by JPB.

Date: 04/24/17 06:21
Author: njmidland

ddavies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They also had a line that ran north to Cortland,
> through Newark Valley. My father was the Owego LV
> station agent about 1950.

The NYS&W still operates a small stub of that line in Cortland.

Date: 04/24/17 07:10
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Bruce, though's top 3 photos looks great. Love the Dash 9 leader on the one. The first Intermodal might be I3K. But that 2nd Intermodal you caught was 23K. I can tell by the single stack containers.

Date: 04/24/17 13:43
Author: easternrailvideos

train 1 287
train 2 23k

Date: 04/24/17 14:10
Author: JPB

The attached photo of NS train W7T was taken on Sunday 4/23/17 at about 9:00AM at Powers Rd Conklin south of East Binghamton yard as the yard crew relieved the inbound road crew. As you can see, this is the same lead locomotive and same set of international containers head out as is shown in the original poster's 2nd photo. Inbound train W7T (an off-schedule symbol for 37T) was briefly yarded at East Binghamton and then proceeded west on the Southern Tier as the normally symbolled 37T passing through Owego just before noon on its way to Buffalo on 4/23/17. (the vast majority of the time these days, a 287 train is strictly empty autoracks (although some loaded racks of VWs have been known to ship west from Davisvile, RI on 287 on occasion).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/17 14:14 by JPB.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds