Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Amtrak 950 (Siemens SC-44 Charger test train) and Others

Date: 04/29/17 13:39
Amtrak 950 (Siemens SC-44 Charger test train) and Others
Author: z-trains

Saturday dawned as a typical spring day in western Michigan, cloudy with tiny gaps in the banks providing space for the sun to peak out over a particularly busy CSX Grand Rapids subdivision, with 7 movements passing over the sub between dawn and 16:15, when I started this piece. Being tired from staying up late working on homework, I decided not to make a foray out to Holland early in the morning, and in doing so missed both an empty and loaded coal set heading from and to the power plant in West Olive, Michigan. No matter, as by the time I got to New Richmond the power off of the loaded train had dropped back down the hill to tack onto the rear of a late running Q326, which had to be cut into two sections in order for it to successfully climb the hill north of the Kalamazoo River bridge. After a few minutes, the Q326 charged up the grade across the bridge behind a trio of high horsepower GE's, with the pair of BNSF ACe's from the coal train on the rear pushing just as hard to get the train up the hill. As the train pulled up to East Saugatuck, the helpers cut off and I got the chance to get in front of it again, catching it at a grade crossing a few miles from Holland. After catching the train in Zeeland, Grandville, and the west end of Wyoming Yard, I hauled back to New Richmond to catch Amtrak 950, a special train consisting of a new Siemens Charger SC-44 (Amtrak 4611), a couple of cars, and a GE P42. Due to the cloudy weather and prior engagements I needed to leave the train there and head back to Grand Rapids, but it still was awesome seeing my first Charger in person. And now, the photos.

1) CSX manifest train Q326 charges up and over the Kalamazoo River bridge in New Richmond, Michigan, behind a pair of AC4400CW's and an ES44AH.
2) After cutting off its helpers at East Saugatuck, the train starts up the grade again, hauling its cars up and over the hump as it heads for Holland.
3) In Zeeland, Michigan, Q326 continues east past the hogback along Chicago Drive.

There's more...

Zach
http://www.z-trains.com

Date: 04/29/17 13:43
Re: Amtrak 950 (Siemens SC-44 Charger test train) and Others
Author: z-trains

4) Q326 continues East through Grandville, Michigan.
5) At the west end of Wyoming Yard, the eastbound manifest train slows to a stop as a yard crew waits for it behind the camera.
6) A few hours later, Amtrak 950 with SC-44 4611 on the point and a few cars as well as a P42 on the rear.

Cheers,

Zach
http://www.z-trains.com

Date: 04/29/17 15:01
Author: refarkas

That Siemens SC-44 is quite a catch.
Thanks for posting these.
Bob

Date: 04/29/17 15:13
Author: rhmich

GREAT spread with story and photo's Zach. We need to see more from this area!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1243 seconds