Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Erie Lackawanna Rail Size(s)

Date: 06/13/17 18:23
Erie Lackawanna Rail Size(s)
Author: Northern

Does anyone know what size rail the Erie Lackawanna used on their main lines between New York and Chicago? Was was the maximum speed on the main line, especially for the UPS trains?

Date: 06/13/17 18:25
Re: Erie Lackawanna Rail Size(s)
Author: CPR_4000

My foggy memory says EL mixed freights had a 40 mph maximum authorized speed vs. 50 for the pigs.

Date: 06/13/17 19:17
Author: exopr

I worked on the Marion Division and saw 132 lb. east of Marion and 112/115 west of Marion. Speeds before 1970 were 50 for freight, 60 for hotshots. In 1970 they were lowered 10 MPH, I assume due to rough track.

Date: 06/14/17 06:30
Author: pal77

I can't be absolute sure but I grew up in Ramsey NJ which had the Erie 4 track main. I remember the express tracks 3&4 having heavier rail than the local tracks 1&2. It was all stick rail but the EL did install welded rail east of Waldwick on track 1. As an aside in the late 80's early 90's when one of the telephone co was installing fiber optic cables along main street Ramsey, the main had been paired to 2 tracks in the mid 80's by NJT, they were digging a trench under the row about 4-6" deep. Anyhow when they went to go under the row they had uncovered the original 6' gauge track some 4' below the current track level. What was noteworthy was the seemingly immense size of the rail section they pulled out, it was like twice the size, well looked that way. Apparently the Erie just ballasted over and laid standard gauge down leaving the old rail underneath.

Date: 06/14/17 13:16
Author: SouthernPacific

In Warren, OH circa 1975 on the Mahoning Division, the Second Subdivision had some 132 lb. continuous welded rail while the First Subdivision had jointed rail not sure on lb. The UPS van trains ran Second Sub between Transfer, PA and Leavittsburg, OH thus avoiding congestion in Youngstown, OH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/17 13:19 by SouthernPacific.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds