Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Harrison NJ Images

Date: 06/15/17 12:43
Harrison NJ Images
Author: erielackawanna

Back in April of 1977 I discovered, randomly, that the Harrison NJ PATH station was a great place to shoot trains coming out of Newark's Penn Station. Of course present PATH policy against photography makes that much harder to do these days, but a week ago, while staying at the new Element Hotel in Harrison, I had a chance to grab a few shots. There is now a parking garage north of the tracks that makes for an interesting platform for different views also.

Image one, an ALP45DP shoves an NJT train towards Dock Bridge.

Image two, a westbound PATH climbs the grade (and flyover) to enter the southern span.

Image three, same train, now all sunny side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/17 12:49 by erielackawanna.

Date: 06/15/17 12:46
Re: Harrison NJ Images

Image four - another westbound PATH, this time from the platform.

Image five - a set of Jersey Arrow IIIs head east.

Image six - WAY BACK MACHINE - my second picture ever from the platforms (April 1977).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/17 12:50 by erielackawanna.

Date: 06/15/17 13:14
Author: joemvcnj

Didn't know there was a new hotel there. Good to comparison shop with the Newark Gateway Hilton. They even offer a PATH train rate giving you round trip Metrocards.

http://www.elementharrisonnewark.com/harrison-nj-hotel

Could need to stay for an early morning Amtrak departure from New York or Newark,.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/17 13:19 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/15/17 15:07
Author: refarkas

You saved your best for last.
Thanks for posting these.
Bob

Date: 06/15/17 15:18
Author: ns1000

Very nice...!!

Date: 06/15/17 15:21
Author: krm152

All are very interesting but like the forty year look back best.
ALLEN

Date: 06/16/17 05:44
Author: RGDave

Well done!

~RGDave

Date: 06/17/17 09:53
Author: rfprr1

Great shots.  What floor of the parking garage did you shoot from?
Also, did you take any photos from the room at the Element?

rfprr

Date: 06/17/17 10:14

The shots here are from the top deck. There are some shot possibilities from the deck below it also.

I did shoot a lot from the room window, but wasn't happy with the shots. Mostly because it was raining much of the team and besides being dark, there was rain all over the window.

I think I would ask for a window facing the track but a bit further north in the hotel next time, to shoot past the new station. That being said, you want to be careful about not getting on so much of an angle that you pick up window distortion.

I also didn't have a telephoto with me, and it's pretty necessary for shooting out the window as you need to shoot the openings that are a bit far off.

Date: 06/18/17 04:56
Author: rfprr1

Thanks for the info.

rfprr

Date: 06/18/17 06:13
Author: Lackawanna484

Both the parking garage and the hotel are on the (compass) north side of tracks. That can make cloudy days your friend.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds