Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Three Trains Occupy Downtown Villa Rica

Date: 06/16/17 08:10
Three Trains Occupy Downtown Villa Rica
Author: NSSpike

Everyday not uncommon at all for two trains to be in downtown Villa Rica at the same time. But three NS ID'd trains is a first for me to catch. 

It all started Wednesday evening of this week when NS sent what would turn out to be a power short NS M87 ( MACON, GA – BIRMINGHAM, ALA). Out of Austell the train struggled west bound and made it as far as the Baggett / Villa Rica siding and was tied down there. During the west bound move there was back and fourth discussion between the dispatcher and crew related to what “Group” rating their units were. Group 5 or Group 6? Went out for coffee and a donut Thursday morning and swung by to see what M87 had for power. The train had two BNSF ES44C4 units #8350 & #4220. As best as I can recall every west bound NS 187 train I have seen always had three head end units all on line. The length had to be over 6,500ft estimated to be at about 110 cars. This train usually includes several loaded scrap metal gondolas and that was the case for this train.

Later in the day on Thursday NS sent a lite power move out of Inman west bound as NS 964 with two units NS #9048 & NS #8892. Heard the dispatcher tell them that NS 186 was in the Coosa / Embry siding and M87 was in the Villa Rica siding. Didn't think much about that. Until only one unit was set out on top of NS M87 and the lead unit on NS 964 would continue west bound. Although I was not able to confirm it, it sounded like there were two manifest trains requiring added power? An east bound and a west bound?

#1 West bound NS M87 (extra NS 187 ( MACON, GA – BIRMINGHAM, ALA)) tied down in the Baggett / Villa Rica siding Alabama Division East End District downtown Villa Rica Georgia.

Decided to sit up on the hill east of town and try my luck capturing the following moves.

#2 After pulling high at CP Villa Rica NS 964 shoves east in the siding and sets the #8892 on top of NS M87. A long hood forward move west bound for this train.

#3 With M87 & 964 in the siding track NS 290 (MCCALLA, AL - CROXTON, NJ) with a pair of UP units heads east on the mainline.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 06/16/17 08:12
Re: Three Trains Occupy Downtown Villa Rica
Author: NSSpike

#4 About 10 minutes later a second east bound NS 24E (DALLAS, TX (KCS IDAAT2) - ATLANTA, GA) would head into town. The NS 964 would head west for a meet with another east bound at Temple before continuing west to the Embry siding west of Anniston Alabama.

#5 First time I recall seeing something other then TFM power around these parts. And then only on a rare occasion.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 06/16/17 10:10
Author: cjvrr

Cool. What a great vantage point too. Looks like a pretty town.

Date: 06/16/17 10:17
Author: ctillnc

Another town in west Georgia that used to be a sleepy spot on the railroad and US 78/I-20. But it's only 30 miles from central Atlanta. Compared to metro Atlanta's rapid expansion north, east, and south, the west side has been slow to develop but it's beginning to now.

Date: 06/16/17 11:58
Author: NSDTK

NS has those C4s wrongly rated as a Group 6 AC engine when there actually rated as a Group 5 DC locomotive

Date: 06/16/17 12:10
Author: PennPlat

No one can eat just one donut.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds