Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Block swapping at Selkirk, NY

Date: 06/21/17 17:58
Block swapping at Selkirk, NY
Author: twropr

Much has been written about CSX changes in Indianapolis as a result of closing Avon (Big Four) Yard there; however, there hasn't been a word on what's happening at Selkirk in several weeks.
Is any block swapping taking place that did not occur prior to the hump being closed? Whereas it was common during the CR day when I worked there to swap intermodal blocks on the Fast Freight tracks; and auto rack blocked in the Old Yard and Top End, there never was any swapping of manifest blocks. What is happening now? Are locations that originate manifests such as Worcester, Springfield and Oak Point pre-blocking for points beyond Selkirk?
Is any block swapping of manifest cars occurring at Collinwood, DeWitt and Frontier?
Thanks!
Andy

Date: 06/21/17 19:01
Re: Block swapping at Selkirk, NY
Author: JLinDE

From what I have heard, Avon is not closed yet but will be, totally. Other posts address that. Selkirk was the best yard CR had and so did CSX after they got it. I've done work there. Easy exit and entry. Longest arrival and departure tracks on the whole CSX system. I could find reports of how many cars it humped in CR days. But that is getting close to 20 years ago, and if carload traffic has dropped a lot over that time, well below the yard's capacity; then maybe flat switching MIGHT work. A CSX employee told me that Selkirk is still humping some of the times and is in the throes of changing. I have no way of knowing if carload traffic has declined. Or even local traffic in Selkirk's substantial local yard. Back when, yards as far away as N. Platte and Little Rock on the UP pre-blocked for Selkirk, as did some BNSF yards. If there is enuf volume for that now I do not know.

As far as Selkirks' handling of intermodal and automotive traffic trains it is well established and I imagine some train symbols and connections will change but not much. Yes, other flat switch yards could pre-block past Selkirk; East, West, or South of there. But they have never done that for a generation (probably two) and it will be a steep learning curve for employees if the selected yards are even capable of that. Most will require local inspection and dialogue, not just a directive from a micro-managing Chairman in some safety bubble in the hurricane prone Southeast. I imagine little will be done at DeWitt. In Buffalo, I think it would be Seneca Yd that does the routine.

Date: 06/21/17 19:18
Author: n

i'm hearing rumors they are not in as big of a hurry to do anything with selkirk or indy as HH was 3 weeks ago because csx is getting back up especially down south.

Date: 06/22/17 04:42
Author: Lackawanna484

It would be very helpful for EHH to be able to cite improvements in his August conference call with analysts and owners.

He likely has a honey moon period into the end of 2017 before the long knives come out.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/17 06:55
Author: bluesboyst

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be very helpful for EHH to be able to
> cite improvements in his August conference call
> with analysts and owners.
>
> He likely has a honey moon period into the end of
> 2017 before the long knives come out.
>
> Posted from Android

Maybe those knives will cut his oxygen hoses.....:)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds