Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pine Junction. Gary IN

Date: 06/23/17 07:31
Pine Junction. Gary IN
Author: Trainatic

Wanted to give a heads up for railfanning. I haven't been bothered and have been coming up here here for many years. Yesterday I was parked off Clark Road right before CSX tracks and a CN cop came up and issued me a written warning for trespassing. He said there was too many terrorists around the area. Funny thing was he told me to park right across Clark on other side. I had asked csx maintenance crew if I was ok there and they said no problem. Tried to tell cop and he said either take written warning or go to jail. Decided to just take it and keep railfanning. Anyone have a phone number to call his supervisor so he can be educated as I'm thinking he is trying to harass rail fans. He made a few other comments about folks who watch and photograph trains. I never cross tracks to take pics and all shots are off side of Clark rd
Joe

Date: 06/23/17 08:55
Re: Pine Junction. Gary IN

Thought this pic may help explain where I was. I'm back again today parked on the other side as per instructed
Joe

Date: 06/23/17 09:17
Author: Englewood

A lot of it is terrorism envy.
They are upset that nothing is happening in their shop.
No news coverage, excitement, etc.

Makes them feel good when they imagine they are saving the railroad
from some white guy terrorist with a camera.

As I used to say at work when the cinder dicks turned against the employees:
"when you see them getting the s*** kicked out of them by some thieves
pretend you see nothing and calmly leave the area."

If they, with all their investigative training, can't figure out who the enemy is,
then they can face the enemy alone.

How many of the airport bombers, knifers, etc. were masquerading as
airplane fans?

EHH is doing more to screw up the rail system than any terrorist could.

Date: 06/23/17 09:44
Author: hcrc

Some CN cops are asses I have never been stopped by a railcop except once in Port Huron ,Mich me and my Daughter were there Ship and Train watching when we drove down to the west end of the yard to see a train(this was before the bridge was built) and the local was switching but he was blocking the crossing for a good 15min so we backed up onto there property and turned around and CN cop pulled us over for trespassing and I told him about how long the train had just sat there and we got tired of waiting so we backed up to go back out the other way didnt matter to him gave us a warning.

Date: 06/23/17 11:05
Author: MILW86A

Did you get a name or badge number? IF so I would call the CN Media Rep and ask him to put you in touch with someone.

http://www.cn.ca/en/media/media-contacts

MILW86A

Date: 06/23/17 12:37
Author: Ohiorailfan

This is nothing new. This has been going on for almost a year so far. I sat up there last august and a CSX cop gave me crap for sitting in the same spot. I showed him my railroad ID and that didn't even help. He gave me a warning and if he caught me again I would get a ticket

Posted from Android

Date: 06/23/17 13:48
Author: kevink

There are plenty of other locations in the area to catch the action without the hassle. So why bother with Pine Jct.?

Date: 06/23/17 14:55
Author: calumet

Trainatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wanted to give a heads up for railfanning. I
> haven't been bothered and have been coming up
> here here for many years. Yesterday I was parked
> off Clark Road right before CSX tracks and a CN
> cop came up and issued me a written warning for
> trespassing. He said there was too many terrorists
> around the area. Funny thing was he told me to
> park right across Clark on other side. I had asked
> csx maintenance crew if I was ok there and they
> said no problem.

CSX has been most active in hassling railfans, not CN. Stay away, if you're on or near CSX property, a passing crew might call you in.

As said earlier, there are plenty of other locations where you won't be hassled. Try Dolton or Blue Island or Matteson or Joliet or ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 14:56 by calumet.

Date: 06/23/17 14:56
Author: zchcsse

What exactly do you mean when he said on the other side of Clark Road? If you panned to the left in the photo, would that show where you parked, or did you park on the other side of the CSX and NS mains? I'm assuming the former but want to make sure as I'll be stopping by there tomorrow myself. And were you even on CN property there??? I guess they own that connection to CSX behind you, but I'm not certain that where you were is even CN property.

-Tom

Date: 06/23/17 15:00
Author: calumet

zchcsse Wrote:
> And were you even on CN property there??? I
> guess they own that connection to CSX behind you,
> but I'm not certain that where you were is even CN
> property.

It makes no difference whether you were on CN property or not. You were on some RR's property and the CN officer has authority over all of it, as do the CSX guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 15:00 by calumet.

Date: 06/23/17 16:57
Author: Seventyfive

The CN "security officer" said there were "too many terrorists around the area." And he is permitted to carry a weapon?
I hope it is a Nerf gun. If there are really "too many terrorists around the area," then he must have
caught many of them, which evidently has never been reported in the news media. The citizens of the area would
certainly like to know that there are "too many terrorists around the area." If he hasn't caught any of the "too many,"
maybe it is time for another line of work.

Congrats to Trainatic for tolerating and defeating such harassment.

Think of how many freight cars and containers are being broken in to and robbed
while the people paid to protect them are harassing rail fans.

Date: 06/23/17 17:25
Author: junctiontower

kevink Wrote:
> There are plenty of other locations in the area to
> catch the action without the hassle. So why bother
> with Pine Jct.?

Where else are the B&O and the Water Level Route 100 feet apart? My Dad and I were up there last fall for 10 hours, parked just south of the WLR on the west side, saw DOZENS of RR employees, and not one person said a word. In fact, they were quite friendly.

Date: 06/23/17 18:41

All of the RR employees I saw I waved at and they waved back. Where I took the pic, you can park on the other side of Clark rd (south side) Cop said it was not RR property but could be private property I stayed by edge of the road and there are not any no trespassing signs. Saw some locals come up later and park between the csx and ns tracks and that would seem like a no no
Joe

Date: 08/01/17 20:51
Author: SOU3301

I was thinking of going up there next month to do some railfanning. Since this spot is somewhat in question, are there other spots to see NS, CN, and CSX at the same time? Any information for that area would be greatly appreciated.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1224 seconds