Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wheeling Over Sand Patch

Date: 06/24/17 07:43
Wheeling Over Sand Patch
Author: cinder

Yes I know.....The title sure can mean several things. In my case, it is an eastbound loaded Wheeling & Lake Erie grain train headed for the poultry in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The picture was taken in June 2001 at Mance, PA. As I recall, this train used a CSX pilot and the W&LE power usually came back west alone. The train ran to Hagerstown, MD on the CSX where it was picked up by the NS and taken south on the H-Line.

The second picture is of a similar eastbound train taken around the same time, also at Mance, PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/17 07:47 by cinder.

Date: 06/24/17 08:00
Re: Wheeling Over Sand Patch
Author: ClubCar

Nice photos of an unusual group of locomotives. Thanks for posting for us to see.
John

Date: 06/24/17 12:37
Author: DJ-12

More recently, after the grain trains ended, W&LE and CSX collaborated on a short term move of ore from the shuttered furnaces at Mingo Jct to Sparows Point. These trains ran late 2010 and 2011, IIRC, and weren't technically W&LE trains as they ran with CSXT crews on W&LE run thru power.
1. Ore train at Green Jct (Connellsville) waiting for a crew.
2 & 3. K110 east at Garrett, PA, lead by W&LE 3046, a unique unit which was one of the original EMD SD40X demonstrators, and sits on an SD35 frame.

Date: 06/25/17 12:32
Author: wheelnrail

Nice shots, especially the SD40X. Does the Wheeling still exercise their trackage rights with some frequency or is it a "on-paper-but-not-in-practice" type of agreement?

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/17 12:36 by wheelnrail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds