Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Garrett Sub Trains at the IN/OH Border

Date: 07/15/17 10:27
CSX Garrett Sub Trains at the IN/OH Border
Author: zchcsse

This clip features three CSX freights at the Indiana/Ohio state line, along CSX's Garrett Subdivision. It's an interesting location with Main 2 on a high fill and bridging over the road that runs along the state line, and Main 1 at ground level, crossing the road at grade. I'm not sure why this arrangement exists here, but I assume the lower track is the newer track from when CSX double-tracked the ex-B&O prior to the Conrail merger, and it was just much easier and cheaper to avoid the large fill. Please correct me if that is a wrong assumption!

TRAIN 1: Loaded phosphate train K812 heads west into Indiana.

TRAIN 2: Run-thru produce train Q090 heads east across the fill into Ohio.

TRAIN 3: Manifest Q386 does the same.

Thanks for watching!

-Tom

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/15/17 10:59
Re: CSX Garrett Sub Trains at the IN/OH Border
Author: farmer

This segment has always been double track.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/15/17 11:04

farmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This segment has always been double track.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Ah. So what is the reason for the separation here? Is it the gradient in the area and trying to reduce in-train forces for eastbounds vs. westbounds?

-Tom

Date: 07/15/17 11:11

Both tracks at one time were on the hill so to speak. The lower grade line was a interburban line abandoned in the early 1900's. The B&O than took over the interburban line to lessen the grade on that track. As pushers were used before this with both tracks on the hill.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/15/17 11:27

Wow, that's really interesting! I never would've guessed that. :)

-Tom

Date: 07/15/17 11:45
Author: King_Coal

Trying to figure out whether its better in Ohio or Indiana!

Particularly like the Q090 train.

Thanks for posting.

Date: 07/15/17 13:42
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!

Date: 07/15/17 14:36

I think about all the times I have hi railed either track at that location. And it seems strange how the two tracks are arranged. It's quite entertaining when a new dispatcher comes to the territory and can't understand why a false activation or activation failure can only be on track one at the state line.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/16/17 21:44
Author: justalurker66

It looks like that one crossing is the only one left in the area with a hi/low arrangement.
It is good to see lights and gates protecting the low line, including a gate on the south side of the high line. Not that the crossing attracts too many people who are not familiar with the layout, but headed north with lights and a lowered gate before the underpass would be interesting.

Wasn't there a high/low railroad though Indiana (possibly through Roann) that was built with directional running and the embankment built up so trains approaching a peak would have a better grade approaching then an easy run down hill? Trains running against the current of traffic would have had a problem climbing the grades.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds